Lancelot Leeks

Mauldintiger

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Anybody growing these? Ordered these from Dixondale and should be here soon. They should be winter hardy here and from what I have read are a long season crop, but I really don't know what to expect?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think there was only one year out of about the last 10 when I didn't have Lancelot.

Lancelot just seem to be a good, steady grower and because I wasn't even sure that I could grow leeks here, I stuck with them. They will last for a couple of months in the crisper drawer of the fridge. This year, I chopped and froze some on cookie sheets and put them in plastic bags later.

A couple years ago, I grew "Summer Leeks," from a Canadian source. They didn't seem so special but I really didn't have plans to use them during summer .. ;)

Here is a little harvest tip: their leaves are like lily leaves, 'Tiger. They are not like most onions. Anything that is between those leaves, stay between those leaves. Do NOT clean the roots of one leek while standing over the top of others. You will fill them with dirt! What a mess.

Here is a little kitchen tip: cut the leek lengthwise and wash the leaves before chopping or using any other way.

Culinary tip: ... they are delicious!

Growing tip: ... well worth it. Oh yeah!

:) Steve