LASAGNA GARDENING - anyone?

davaroo

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
For once, it looks like I can get ahead of something for next year. If I get a layered bed system planned and going now, I can have it ready by spring.

SO who does this, and what are some good on-line links? I really don't want to buy yet another gardening book! :barnie

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
My Mom bought me the book- you don't need it.... I am not a fanatic about it, but when I start a new bed, I always begin with newspaper. It really does keep the weeds down and eventually biodegrades. I add compost and continue layers. I think it is a good idea. I have only used it for flower gardens- not in the veggie garden. Let us know what you think... Good luck!

aquarose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
If possible, at least cut the sod where you are going to put the bed and just flip it over before you put the newspaper and cardboard. I didn't and I have some kind of grass coming up in my new raised beds. Although I have another bed where there were flowers and weeds so thick I decided just to put a lasagne garden over it instead of trying to clean it out. I didn't turn the soil. I let it sit for two years. I have the prettiest grass and roses there now. It killed irises, lilies, and bunches of weeds. Fill it up really high and it will settle way down, probably by about half. I agree with Lesa in that you can just use whatever organic stuff you have, just start with a really thick layer of cardboard and/or newspaper. Just wet the newspaper to keep it from blowing around while you work. If you build it now it will be great by spring. Most of the book is devoted to the culture of different plants and not specifically about building the lasagne bed. She swears by peat moss as a material to layer between other materials, but it is certainly not necessary. Good luck!

davaroo

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Im learning that it goes by other names: no till gardening, no dig gardening, sheet compost gardening. TMEN news has done more than a few articles on it, one quite recent. In that one, the author just layered wet newspaper and purchased compost.

The concept is simple: to allow composting organic matter atop wet paper layers to rot down, enriching the soil from above. From below, worms and microbes are attracted and do their magic from below.

The paper is key, effectively stifling most weeds and unwanted volunteers.

It is primarily employed as a raised bed scheme, but it doesn't have to be, I suppose. The raised bed concept does make it neater, since it is essentially a refuse composting bin. Instead of making compost heaps, you compost in the bed.

Such raised beds can also double as heated cold frames - since the rotting organic matter in the layers creates heat!

All very fascinating and oh so trendy - just like me!

Latest posts