Last nights storm!

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
We had a T-storm come thru last night, The yard and garden are a complete mess but in good shape luckily.There are fir needles and twigs and branches all over the garden, yard, house, and cars though. Some of the corn is leaning but still standing, Tomatoes are in good shape it shook a few off on the ground but not many, I am glad that the cages I made held up even though the plants are 2 feet taller than cages. My SIL lives about 12 miles north of us says she had nickel sized hail stones coming down, thank goodness that did not come here. We just need to sweep off the patios , deck, cars, and pick up some branches around the yard and things will be back to normal.
How did everybody in this local Weather the storm?..:)

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
We got off light here. I could hear some distant rumbling when I stepped outside around 10 last night, but we didn't get lightening until the wee hours. No wind to speak of and just some gentle rain. Went for a trail ride on the bike this morning and looked like not much happened out in the woods either. It must have lost all it's whoomp at your end.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Collector said:
. . . My SIL lives about 12 miles north of us says she had nickel sized hail stones coming down, thank goodness that did not come here. .
Well, now you've got me worried, Collector . . . before, I was just sleepy. Got up at about my usual time but went to bed late, after 10pm ;).

DW was already talking about the thunder but, not surprisingly, I couldn't hear anything :rolleyes:. A little after midnight - I heard something. It was all part of my dream where someone tries to drive a Hummer thru the bedroom wall !!

The thunder & lightening seemed to go on for hours. The rain had stopped but it was still dripping when I went out before 4. Unnerving!! And, I don't know how the gardens fared and won't be able to see one of them until tomorrow. I sure hope that the hail didn't fall any farther north . !

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well Bay, don't envy us the rain.

After checking 3 airports the best I can figure is that it isn't likely that we got much over a third of an inch, if that.

Hopefully, we won't find that the lightening started any fires. A wait of a day or a week is usually necessary to know. I can't see how it would be possible for that kind of storm not to have fried a few trees. Fortunately, if this was fairly local, the soaking rain from 7 days ago should help. A third of an inch may make no difference, altho' it is better to have rain with lightening strikes - the weather service says. (They also say that it will be 93 this afternoon.)

Steve

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here, just N of Vancouver, Wa. had just a light sprinkle around 10 PM that lasted a few minutes. At 6AM there wasn't even a hint that we had any rain. :hu

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The storm passed us by, no problems at all. Still a chance of a severe thunderstorm tonight and tomorrow, then i think we're in the clear.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
The garden is fine. We got some rain. I thought I heard a tiny bit of hail. The lightening and thunder went on and on. The lightening was striking the ground. I was surprised there was not that much damage around. The electricity blinked on and off and then around 11 it went off and stayed off until maybe 3 this morning. My DD lost cell phone service a couple of times. The storm seemed to be right over our house and moving very slow to the NE.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Spokane has blinking red lights in lots of their intersections today.

An ironic location for a signal that is completely out: in front of Avista electric company offices ;)!

The forecast is now 60% chance of thunderstorms overnight. It was only 20% going into last night! WS is talking about winds this time but no mention of hail. However, "abundant lightening" (their choice of words) are expected in the Cascades. I guess this is suppose to continue until Monday. Then, dry & hot. Oh please, no smoke filling our corner of the world!

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I talked to my brother in southern Oregon this afternoon, and they have a lot of smoke. He said today wasn't quite so bad, he could see the mountain across the road....

Latest posts