Late Summer Insect Garden Companion

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would have been delighted to have taken this picture but it is from the University of Michigan:

sympetrum_internum0030_large.jpg

These guys don't give you much of a chance of snapping a shot. As I reached for a dahlia yesterday afternoon, one landed on my arm.

At least, I believe it was a Cherry-faced Meadowhawk. I took a little time looking at pictures and information on Google images and at the Idaho Museum of Natural history. They have been somewhat common the last week or so :).

I have seen very few butterflies this year. It has been a "Yellowjacket Year," seems to me. I was stung twice . . :/. How about in your garden? The non-pest varieties -- what has been an insect garden companion for you this year?

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oooo, aren't dragonflies cool? We've had a lot of them the last few weeks too, the red ones mostly, but also some small blue ones. I think what we have had the most of is bumblebees, seems like more than most years.
Thankfully not a lot of wasps or yellowjackets this year :) .
The humming birds seemed scarce, has anyone else noticed that?
Maybe your butterflies were here Steve, we didn't have a huge amount but a steady supply of different varieties all summer. They especially appreciate the Joe Pye weed and the cone flowers.

DawnSuiter

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Wow, that is neat! Look who is helping with my new herb gardens, which I let flower...
101_0040sm.jpg

101_0041sm2bees.jpg

I don't know what kind of bees they are, but they are helping spread pollen so I LOVE them :)

and I learned recently that the strange ant I see from time to time is called a Velvet Ant... not too helpful but amazingly beautiful to me!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here's one I got!

DSC00258.JPG

Yes, there are plenty of bumble bees! Hey, I didn't know you'd lured the butterflies to your place, Thistle'!

By the way, this was the 1st time a Tokyo White onion has bloomed in my garden and I've had them for years. The bumble bee didn't miss it ;).

Basil is a real good one for bringing the bees, Dawn! Makes me wonder what basil honey would taste like :p. I bet it would be goooood! Unlike onion honey . . . . . .

Steve

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
OHHHHHH you want pics of buggies, ............................... I got pics of buggies!!!!!!

7236_bdamsel.jpg

damsel fly

7236_bdevil.jpg

dragonfly

7236_bdevilg.jpg

dragonfly

7236_bjmpspd.jpg

preditory jumping spider

7236_bkwdw.jpg

blackwidow, usually considered bad, but eats bad bug nymphs

7236_bpollinator.jpg

pollinator doing his job

7236_bspidy.jpg

jumping spider doing it's job

7236_bwasp.jpg

wasp lunching on a leaf eater.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Great photos! I had a ton of bumble bees, too. Quite a few dragonflies and a collection of Monarch butterflies. Dh made me laugh when he said, what is that bush that the butterflies are always on?? Of course, it was butterfly bush! Had a lot of milkweed this year- so the monarch's were happy. I had very few hummingbirds- but I do cherish them!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love those photos Kassaundra, especially the dragonfly with the curly wingtips!
I love macro photography also and used to indulge in it a lot back in the 35mm days.
Until my truck got stolen with my camera and all my lenses :( .
I could look at pix like those all day long!

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not to many butterflies. :( Did not see our usual walking sticks and praying mantis either. A few more bees again. Good news. And those great big army green dragonflies. (They remind me of huey helicopters.) :gig After trying for many years I have Hummers :lol: Lots of them. What a blast.
8098_hummer_closups_019.jpg
[/img]

Photo taken at feeder right out my kitchen window.