Lavendar from seed - Having trouble

SarahFair

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I planted about 50 in Jiffy starters and only had 4 come up (2 died)
then I planed some directly in the soil awhile ago and still NONE have come up...
Are they hard to start from seed or what?!

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Lavender seed can take a looong time to germinate, sometimes a month, maybe longer... and the germination rate is often not too good.
Light aids germination, so sow on top of soil and cover with plastic wrap or dome to keep moist.
Some types do better with a chilling period, put in the fridge for 3-4 weeks, then move to about 70F.
Be very careful not to over water seedlings...
Jiffy starters seem to keep things very moist ... a well draining seed starting mix may work better.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
What kind of lavender? Are you keeping them too wet? How old are the seeds?

I had a 50% germination rate last year on my starts, but they were brand new seed. I'm thinking there may be something else at work on yours?!

SarahFair

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
vfem said:
What kind of lavender? Are you keeping them too wet? How old are the seeds?

I had a 50% germination rate last year on my starts, but they were brand new seed. I'm thinking there may be something else at work on yours?!
I dont think Im keeping them too wet..
They are new seeds I bought at the store.

Not sure of the kind, Ill have to dig the packet out

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I keep putting lavendar (plants) in a bed that's low-lying and they never last more than 2 seasons--TOO WET. I understand that they like it dryer--they "don't like to get their feet wet." For instance, I understand that they grow lavendar well in the "rain shadow" of Oregon, the sunny and dry part of the state east of the Cascades. (My source?: The Weather Channel documentary on it.)
I'd add some sand to your soil, and make your pots deep, so that they drain REALLY well. I'll be starting some lavendar seeds later this year AFTER the vegetable garden is in. FINALLY got an electric saw to take down the (OLD) evergreen bushes next to my house, where the land slopes away. I'm planning on planting lavendar THERE instead of my wet herb garden.:D

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I think that lavender is definitely a no likey water plant. Kind of like rosemary but worse.

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have never been able to do anything with lavendar seed. The only luck I have had was to get plants, then they did not last thru a second season. I did not know about the too much water thing, so I may try again.. plants cost too much for me!
I also did not know they needed light to germinate, its been a long time since I tried them.
Never had luck with rosemary either, but I am feeling like I need to try these things again, since I have learned new info on here. LOVE this site.. oops, I already said that somewwhere else on here today lol.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
4grandbabies said:
I have never been able to do anything with lavendar seed. The only luck I have had was to get plants, then they did not last thru a second season. I did not know about the too much water thing, so I may try again.. plants cost too much for me!
I also did not know they needed light to germinate, its been a long time since I tried them.
Never had luck with rosemary either, but I am feeling like I need to try these things again, since I have learned new info on here. LOVE this site.. oops, I already said that somewwhere else on here today lol.
Love this site too! I've gardened many years, yet some days it seems I'm still in kindergarten :D
You can research what should be done, but it doesn't compare to friends sharing what can be done.

Here's a great resource that tells about the different types of lavender. Study ... there will be a test ... :gig
Mountain Valley Growers

I have been able to over-winter Munstead and Lady. I lost Hidcote twice and have not tried it again.
I had very good germination with Lady seed at room temp, but with Munstead, I had better success when I chilled the seed for 4 weeks in the fridge (sown on moist soil in tray placed in ziploc), then moved to room temp. I actually had a few seeds germinate in the fridge.

Mine have done ok with some rather wet Summers, but I have them planted in a somewhat raised area in silty loam soil.
I live pretty much in a swamp so it took me a few tries to make them happy.

I'm trying Vera and more Lady seeds now, although I just got them going a few days ago... and I'm trying different methods of germinating.
I may try some cuttings also, but I usually flunk at that...:rolleyes:

SarahFair

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Im in HOT DRY Georgia :lol:

I showered them every/every other morning and it would dry out between waterings. We havent had rain for a good many days and dont plan on any soon :idunno

Latest posts