Lavender for essential oil

Rusty

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Does anybody know which varieties of lavender to plant when I want to use them to distill essential oils? Which are the most aromatic varieties?

Since I already have a steam distillery setup and the essential oils online are so very expensive, I think I'll plant some and try making my own. I do know that there are varieties specifically used for making oil--I just don't have a clue which ones they are.

Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks!

:watering

Sylvie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score

Rusty

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
That second link is really great! It sounds like English Lavender is the way to go, altho it will likely take a few years before it produces much. I figure a cup or so of oil will scent more soap than I can possibly use and the rest can go for potpourri.

I'm slowly trying to make the farm self-sufficient, so this is but one of many ideas I am trying to implement and I am in no hurry about things.

Thanks again for the links. I really appreciate your help!

Rusty

:tools

nipitinthebud

Leafing Out
Reaction score

Rusty

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
The photos were spectacular. I could almost SMELL the lavender right through the screen!

TY

Rusty

Sylvie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I admire your spirit of adventure in growing and distilling lavender oil!

I keep adding Lavender plants that I get on sale to form a short hedge border around my herb garden. They seem to be mostly Hidcote varieties. I have one Provence lavender.
All my lavender is heavily pruned following flowering which makes the plant denser and more flowering wands next year. I did have an odd year last year with 2 separate flower harvests, a bonus for my short growing season. :cool:
I was told that lavender cuttings can be rooted with great success which may be a cost effective way to propagate many in a short time.

Sylvie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
nipitinthebud said:
Hi Rusty

If you grow your own lavender you can save the stalks for firelighters apparently - so says my allotment friend Pat and she'd know!
http://nipitinthebud.wordpress.com/2009/10/11/looking-afterlavender/

cheerio, Nic
Welcome to TEG, nipitinthebud :rose
I will definitely be trying the firelighter stalks! That is a wonderful idea!

If you looked at my first link, lower on the page it states that the french use the spent lavender bales for straw bale house construction. So 2 new uses for lavender that I learned on this thread! :happy_flower

Latest posts