Lavender

desertgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I recently received some lavender seeds as a bonus with another seed order. I've never grown lavender...any advice?:hu

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I was growing some... but the wind blew my little plants off my deck and killed them ( :he )

I know to keep them in well drained soil... full sun... the prefer sandy soil with organic matter mixed in... and water well ONLY the first year... after that they like it DRY DRY DRY!

desertgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Excellent advice, as always. Thank you (and sorry for your lavender loss!).

aidenbaby

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I've found that lavendar is as easy to grow as sage. I'm past the first year. Grasshoppers seem to like it but don't do enough damage to kill the plant. Mantids will live on it to get the grasshoppers.

desertgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Past the first year...does that mean the first year is rough in some way?:/

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well.. maybe... all mine DIED in the first year. But it was a freak storm with 50+ mph winds that blew them soaking wet off my deck and out into nature where...well... everyone DIED! :hit

Oh well.... maybe I will break down and just buy some 3" pots and consider it fair as I tried....

Just like I killed my lotus I did from seed (See, I am REALLY good at killing things... much has died from these hands I tell ya!) I bought a $10 water lily to throw in the pond to replace it.

farmerlor

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
desertgirl said:
I recently received some lavender seeds as a bonus with another seed order. I've never grown lavender...any advice?:hu
Lavender is probably the slowest germinating seed I've ever grown so don't give up if you don't get anything for a couple of weeks or so. They also seem to have a fair at best germination rate so put several seeds in each pot.

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi there! :frow

I have given up on growing lavender from seed as it is SO EASY to grow from cuttings. I just beg 'slips' (non flowering pieces of plant) from my friends etc. I prepare a pot with soil combined with grit or sand. You must pull the needle-like leaves of the bottom one third of each cutting before placing them around the edge of the pot. water & leave in dappled shade; water as needed but don't overdo it. They root in a few weeks. Pot on into separate pots until they are large enough to plant out. :happy_flower

You can easily plant yourself a beautiful lavender hedge this way -- for virtually nothing. :D The bees will love it! :bee :bee :bee

HAPPY GARDENING THIS WEEKEND :tools

:rose Hattie :rose

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Don't get too down thinking it will be too hard.

Start the seeds in peat pots with peat moss and not soil with them sitting in some warm water with grow lights inside the house. I had 100% germination on 25 munstead lavender seeds back in Feburary. It took about 10 days to see my first sprouts. I added a heating pad after they sprouted.. but it was cold near the window as it probably wouldn't be now and I doubt you would need it.

If it doesn't work out for you let me know... I have 100+ more seeds here I am not planning on bothering with.

Latest posts