Lawn irrigation

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I want @Phaedra Geiermann to know that Americans are out there that appreciate green grass in their backyards. Even though, she may have no need for irrigation concerns and share an environment at the moment similar to Alabama and the TEG gardeners there.

I just want something that is cool and soft and tidy and not muddy and hard and hot ;).

What some are calling "hardscape" these days looks nice to me at a distance. I might like it a good deal more if I did not live here in the Wild West - some of my thinking on hardscape came through on the recent thread about a gazebo.

Yes, I'd like to live on the north side of a mountain with my garden secured from raids by the pests on the southside, with babbling brooks on both sides - tributaries to a good trout-fishing river downstream, with a nice green lawn beneath the fragrant cedar trees. That's during the summer ... Winter, a nice tight greenhouse springs up around the garden with its lawn beneath a hammock and heated by a geothermal spring surfacing in my attached bathhouse/sweat lodge. Aaahhhh ...

Steve

View attachment 42447

i entirely like the way you think. :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am gonna pretend that I can be on my twice a week schedule with no halftime scheduling.

The hottest days are tomorrow and the next day. Today is my usual day to water the lawn. An extra soaking may be okay but, in this rocky soil, it can amount to just charging the aquifer.

For the most part, the lawn is green. With those few days with afternoons in the 80's, the grass is growing better than at any time in this summer. One advantage of all the heat is that mowing has been easy. I've stayed on the once/week on that and resisted the temptation to procrastinate and allow it to be a bigger job than a quick swipe of a chore.

Steve

Gaulithan

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Wow, taking care of a lawn for 25 years is quite impressive

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
we've been using a mulching mower all these years and no fertilizers added. my brother has a horrible time with his lawn, but he bags and discards his clippings each time. the soil for his lawn is compacted, mossy, not very good grass growth. he's wanted to have it redone for years and i told him to change how he mows and to stop starving his worms, but it will take years to change how it looks. always an adventure. :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have to do some grass raking of "windrows" on a few mowing days as a usual thing. Not this year - the heat must have suppressed the lawngrass. Or, keeping it green in the drought wasn't quite the same as growing a crop of blue grass.

@Gaulithan has prompted me to go back and re-read that 6 year old wish for a new home. (Welcome, Gaulithan!). I cannot now imagine a new home happening but I may update and clarify some of my thinking on the thread. Living here so long has been quite an experience. Living here with DW is an experience in compromise ;). She appreciates the home about 50% more than I do but I may be "coming around," in my advanced age ;).

The pandemic has forced patience on both of us. There are continuing repairs that have been delayed. It was disconcerting to be forced to have the plumber in for 2 days during the winter.

Anyway, just as distant garden work had to be scheduled to best air quality and temperatures, yardwork did too to a lesser degree. It was quite bothersome to water sunny locations night & morning, half & half and 2x/week during those extremely hot weeks. Trying to conserve water and preserve a lawn -- it's good to see that it's winding down and places like my front yard will soon be locations for "snow storage."

;) Steve

Latest posts