lawn moss

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Nyboy, I have read that you are supposed to shred moss in a blender, blend with buttermilk, then paint or smear it on the intended object.

It's odd, but the most beautiful stands of moss I have seen grow on a bald glade of pink igneous rock in Amidon State Forest, near Fredericktown, MO. Now I would think the rocky soil would be alkaline, but apparently not. No chance for the soil to be compacted, as it is very thin and covered in pine and cedar needles and hardwood leaves.
If a person would dig down deep to the soil in the area, however, they would find clay. But mixed with ground up rock/sand for centuries.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
How do you grow moss? I have a few old planters and garden ornaments I would love to grow moss on. Tried painting with butter milk didn't work.
it the planters and garden ornaments contain iron on the finished surface ... that is a no go. Otherwise, once planted, one has to fog or mist the items quite often as moss loves moist as well as cool growing conditions. :D

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
sSig_threadhijacked.gif

So how can I encourage the moss that is S L O W L Y taking over the rocky areas under my oak trees? I'd love to stop getting pelted by dozens of sharp rock bits when I mow it.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
View attachment 6542
So how can I encourage the moss that is S L O W L Y taking over the rocky areas under my oak trees? I'd love to stop getting pelted by dozens of sharp rock bits when I mow it.

Keep it moist. Moss loves moisture.

There are dozens and dozens of different species of moss, they don't all require the same pH or soil types, but they all have a love of damp in common.

Latest posts