Lawn sweepers

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
AidenGrayson said:
Is there any tool from which we can cut out the grass properly i wouldn't find it.
Cut out the grass? Are you asking how to get rid of grass with a tool that cuts it off the lawn? DH uses a flat spade to cut the layer of grass. That leaves some roots and the soil exposed. He does this to start holes for planting or to remove sod where he wants to use the space for something else. He used the same tool to cut a trench from the house to the garden shed when we ran electricity out there. He dug 'bricks' of grass and soil up, ran the wire, and replaced the bricks so you could hardly tell the area was dug up.

Finally, I found that running my tiller backwards through new garden/old sod will cut the sod out. A quick raking and I can till the area without getting all the green stuff entangled in the tiller blades.

And, of course, there is always ROUND-UP to get rid of grass. The farmer renting our field used Glyphosate to clear it off. Be aware that what is being sold in garden shops called ROUND-UP is now a mixture of chemicals and I wouldn't suggest using it, but Glyphosate by itself isn't the worst thing you could use. It's chemicals quickly break down in the soil after application. The reason other chemicals have been added is that Glyphosate takes weeks before you see everything is dead. Most consumers want instant results so more dangerous chemicals are added -- and still called ROUND-UP -- to please the public. Our farmer used the pure Glyphosate in the spring for a fall planting of winter wheat.

I seldom use anything other than sweat and hand tools to remove weeds, but occasionally I have used Glyphosate on the flower beds -- me with an artist's brush hitting specific weeds/leaves rather than wide spread spraying.

Latest posts