Lemon Balm

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
You can plant it right in the ground if you want- it does spread, but here in zone 4- not too much. I would say a good sized pot-10-12 inches. No need to keep it inside-

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have read that Lemon Balm can be quite invasive in the south. I have it in a 12' pot. And I have read that it likes the shade(I think ?). Mine has done well but I will probably take some cutting and plant a few more because I love to save it for over the winter. Mine died back but is now putting on some new growth. I just cut it and put it in a freezer back and then took some out all winter. Love it.

SarahFair

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
lesa said:
You can plant it right in the ground if you want- it does spread, but here in zone 4- not too much. I would say a good sized pot-10-12 inches. No need to keep it inside-
Im here in Ga where well get 100+ degree HUMID heat..
Im not sure it would do good in the ground?

My porch is open, just has a roof

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Mine reseeds rather ambitiously, although there are worse weeds to have to pull out <g>. This is in the ground, not a pot -- if for some reason you want to put it in a pot I'd give it at least a gallon pot if you want a big healthy plant.

Mine lives in basically full shade and does fine, so a covered porch would probably be ok. I would *think* it'd do as well or better in the ground, though, in a shady cool not-drying-out location.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'd go with a 12" pot minimum and full sun. Direct planting is asking for invasion... unless you want it to! :D In fact, on of my neighbors has mint everywhere... she loves the smell when she steps on it she says. When it gets too far near here roses she turns the mint under a few feet back.

I personally would pot the stuff! I just like mint in my fruit teas and that's it! :D

Lemon grass smells fantastic too... I wonder how many things I would put that in?! Mmmmm

SarahFair

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I planted my lemon balm in a planter 4 days ago and all its done is wilt. I water everyday!
Is it just in temp shock?

Should I put some goat or rabbit poop around it?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Go easy on the water- if the soil is not dry- don't water it... Rotting roots are a danger, especially in a container situation. Give it a few days. Were the plants hardened off- or did they go from inside to outside immediately? Are they planted in potting soil, garden dirt?

SarahFair

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
lesa said:
Go easy on the water- if the soil is not dry- don't water it... Rotting roots are a danger, especially in a container situation. Give it a few days. Were the plants hardened off- or did they go from inside to outside immediately? Are they planted in potting soil, garden dirt?
It came from home depot in one of those cardboard containers. Well it had been outside for about 2 weeks when I planted it.
The directions said to tear part of it off or something.. Well it basically just fell off so I planted it in some potting soil..

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sounds like you did everything right- just make sure you don't over water...give it a little time. Good luck!