Let the "growing" begin!

DouglasPeeps

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Yesterday we planted our vegetable garden. I have had gardens for years in the "city", but last summer we moved out on land. So, now I can have a HUGE garden. :tools Can you tell I am VERY happy about this. OK, it's not as big as I want, but at least there is PLENTY of space to expand next year. hehe

What we put in:

corn, pie pumpkins, yellow squash, green squash, onion, romaine lettuce, cabbage, sugar snap beans, green beans, cucumber, and leek

I always grow my tomatoes in pots (have had amazing luck with this) and am going to grow green pepper in a pot this year as well.

We have always had automatic garden sprinklers, but don't now, so we are using soaker hoses this year. I expect to use less water with this method and have less run-off.

So, now we just wait for the first seedlings to appear (I actually like this part). :watering

sparks

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Nice to have that garden in. We had frost last night so we have to be careful. Have a few things in though. Happy Growing!:happy_flower

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My favorite part too! Every morning I get up and run outside to see what's sprouted today.

Good luck on the garden and congrats on having more land. Don't worry, I'm sure you'll fill it up.

DouglasPeeps

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
OaklandCityFarmer said:
My favorite part too! Every morning I get up and run outside to see what's sprouted today.
That is our favorite part too! We are out in the garden all the time in the summer, but as a family we take a "tour" each evening to see all the new growth. LOVE IT!

DouglasPeeps

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
sparks said:
Nice to have that garden in. We had frost last night so we have to be careful. Have a few things in though. Happy Growing!:happy_flower
We are actually expecting snow/rain tonight. But it won't last. That is what is nice about Colorado. We will be safe from frost by the time the seedlings are sprouting.

Backyard Buddies

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I agree. Newly germinated seeds is one of the most amazing parts of gardening! Perhaps the next best thing is when the first little green tomato appears behind the dying tomato blossom.

Congrats on your new garden space! How exiting!

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That's so exciting, congratulations on your new garden space! :)

I grew an anaheim pepper in a pot last year, just for the heck of it, and I still had it laden on Thanksgiving! I think you'll have as good of luck with yours, as you have had with tomatoes.

Are the green squash, summer squash, or winter? Patty pans, if summer? :)

mooman

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I also moved out to land this year but instead of taking it slow I planted the whole field (over 1200ft of rows!!!!!). I think I got in a little over my head :eek: .

I believe you can even bring the pepper plants in and keep them all winter. They are actually a perennial vegetable if you can keep them above freezing. Not sure it's worth it, my sister did it with one of those little ornamental peppers.

Latest posts