Lets get it right this time!

SoyBean

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
So last season I harvested nothing. I was trying to grow tomatoes, cucumbers, raddishes, and carrots. I'm not sure if I'm too late in the season to plant anything that I could harvest in time, but I'm going to try anyway. The first thing I'm going to plant is cucumbers (from seed) I have a pot outside I could plant the seeds in. How often should I water them? How many seeds should I plant? The soil is just organic soil I got from the garden store. I want to try and do things as organically as I can. Basically, help me turn my black thumb, green.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Depends on pot size. I don't think you should plant more then 1 cuke per pot. Try to put a make shift trellis in the pot with the cukes and grow them up. That would help a lot!

Same with tomatoes, 1 per pot and stake them up if you can. find some organic fertilizer and being they are in pots you will have to fetilizer probably 1/2 dz or more times in a season (lightly, like the stuff you mix with water a little at a time).

Being they are pot, you want to water daily!!!

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So this is what I would do. I would plant three seeds. at least and then thin when the first gets its really leaves. That gives you some leeway just in case one doesn't germinate and other thing can happen. I think it " One for the crows one for something else and one for you to grow".

As for watering I would put a plastic thingy at the bottom that will hold some water so you don't alway have to water it just water it when the plate gets dry. Lowe's has them for a couple of bucks. containers dry out faster than in the ground and in places where you get a lot of heat you could totally bake a plant by having it in a container. Once the plant has germinated you could also put some mulch to keep the plants from drying out. That what I do for my satsumas and kumquat trees.

Then just trellis and you should be good.

One question on the organic soil you got. I live in the south and the Lowes or HD brand of organic soil is just sand. I don't think it would be especially productive. So if that is what your using you may want to add some compost to give it some water retentive properties.

Hope this helps

SoyBean

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I was going to try and find some organic fertilizer or compost at the store. I won't be able to get either of those until pay day, but next week I should be able to go and get some.

Thanks for all your help you guys!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That's fine... Miracle gro sells a cheaper organic mix, i think its like $6 for a 2 cu sq ft bag.

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Along the lines of v's idea of a trellis for the potted cukes.......I have a pot with morning glories and here's how I trellised them to give them a boost to climb the patio awning.
6615_php9bidvkpm.jpg

SoyBean

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks! :D I'm growing these from seed and I just put a few seeds into containers a few days ago. How long would you say I have before I need to put in some organic fertilizer? I get paid on Friday so I have to wait till them. And do I just put it on top or mix it into the soil? Oh and I almost forgot. What about coffee grounds?

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I would put in the fertilizer after the plant gets its real leaves. Coffee grounds when ever just do so in moderation.

Latest posts