lettuce and cabbage....

sheps4her

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Is it the wrong time of year to grow cabbage and lettuce?
I have some planted but it is not growing. Its not dying either, but it is not growing. could it be too hot? I am in north carolina.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I would say, yes it's too hot.

Lettuce and cabbage both enjoy cool weather, along with broccoli, cauliflower, spinach and other like veggies.

Also, you might be able to keep them in the ground, give them some shade if possible, morning sun is better for them than afternoon sun. If they start to bolt, or go to seed (which looks like they're about to get tall) then you should cut them and cut your losses. :)

I would say plant crop this fall. Depending on your first frost date for the season plan about 90 days before your first frost for cabbages and cauliflower, about 60 days for head lettuces and broccoli and about 30-45 days for leaf lettuces and spinach. Most of these plants can withstand a light frost without a problem but when a hard frost hits you should consider planting dates or have some sort of crop extender available.

Good luck

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
OaklandCityFarmer's mostly right, but this is where varieties can come into play. There are summer cabbage and cauliflower varieties. If you grow hybrids, Derby Day cabbages will give you nice cabbages in the summer, though it would depend upon your individual conditions, of course. (Here they produce in hot, dry conditions.)

They are planted, in my area, appropriately enough, on Derby Day, in May, as it coincides with our last frost date.

And there are open pollinate varieties, as well. I'm growing a summer cauliflower.

However, most of by cabbage family plants are grown in the cool weather.

Lettuce I don't even try once it warms.

Good luck! :)

Latest posts