Lettuce is ready now what...

Purple Strawberry

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My light bulb just clicked on.

So as my signature line says, I am a new gardener and need some advice.

I have a whole raised bed that is 8' x 4'. My lettuce will be ready tomorrow and the only other thing that is planted is radishes and they will be ready the 20th if you go by the harvest dates on the seed package. So my question is what should I plant? I already have planted now brussell sprouts, carrots, tomatoes, cucumbers, pumpkins and potatoes.

I would like a leafy vegetable but not sure what I can plant right now due to my zone.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Purple Strawberry, if they aren't bolting to seed, you can continue to harvest outside leaves. Or, cut them completely and allow to regrow. I have the best results with romaine when doing that.

These newer (or, new-to-me) Batavian varieties seem to have some real resistance to heat - at least to my heat (dry).

I find that it is easier to set lettuce transplants out than to direct-seed during hotter weather. You can "baby" them in protected areas of the yard in their containers until the plant starts reach a size that they can be transplanted into the garden. The possibilities of having lettuce, however, steadily diminishes for me as we move into late summer.

Steve

http://www.specialtycrops.colostate.edu/scp_exp_demo/lettuce_bolting.htm

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am going to suggest a summer squash. I know that's not a leafy vegetable but it is easy and very productive. Your lettuce probably has another 3 weeks or so before it will turn bitter and start to bolt. So as digitS' said, you can extend your harvest a few more weeks. Let a few go to seed and you have lettuce seed for the fall and next spring. :)

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yup, no reason to pull it up or cut the whole plant unless it is getting bitter or about to bolt. Just pick the biggest (lowest) leaves and you will have an ongoing supply of salad for potentially quite a while, depending on your weather and lettuce variety.

If you are looking for something to replace it with, what about beans? Or buy some storeboughten starts of peppers or eggplants.

Have fun,

Pat

Purple Strawberry

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I am going to pull up a row that isn't doing the best and maybe plant some beans.

What does "bolt" mean? This seems like a term I need to learn.

Angie

:rainbow-sun

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have given up on the leafy stuff with our heat down south for now... When I can spend time moving pots in and out of shade all day I will plant some lettuce in pots on the deck.

Where I did have some carrots I've already harvested, I just went ahead and planted watermelon. From what I see... you need some fruit?! Why not some nice melons? The bed sounds perfect for cantaloupe or watermelon or something!?

:D

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi there! :frow

I would plant Perpetual Spinach / New Zealand Spinach, Orach (this is red but tastes like spinach - it's also very tall) & Leeks.

Sow some beans now so they are ready to pop in the moment you take your radishes & lettuce out. Also start thinking about what you can put in later for late fall & winter. How about Kale, Chard, Oriental greens & more Leeks etc.

It's hard when you start to get the timing right & to plan ahead. :D There are plenty of charts which tell you what to plant when but the weather takes very little notice of them. :lol:

I always try to have a few seeds coming on, either indoors or tucked in an odd corner, so I can make use of any sudden spaces in my raised beds. Stuff you buy in stores etc. is often sub-standard & pot-bound: it suffers shock when transplanted & often dies off or doesn't do well. I tend to grow my lettuce / salad leaves in wide shallow pots or pans & as one is finished I go on to the next one; I sow one every 5-7 days. They look so attractive as a bonus, especially if the pots are pretty. You can continue this in the Winter but inside. :happy_flower

Hope this helps -- you will get the knack soon! :thumbsup

:rose Hattie :rose

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
In you heat YES. :D

They should shoot out of the ground in a couple of days as long as they are kept very moist.

Good Luck! :coolsun :watering

:rose Hattie :rose

Latest posts