Lichens on a blueberry bush

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi guys. My dad was asking me this evening how to remove lichens that are growing upon his blueberry bush and I had no idea what to tell him. He believes the lichens may be choking out the bush, but from what I've read online they are not supposed to cause any damage a plant, but rather proliferate as the plant may be dying off from some other condition or disease.

So...any ideas what this blueberry bush might need done to help it? It is an old, established plant, too big to move. It has not really had much care, but has produced berries faithfully over the years. It seems to be slowly dying off. I was hoping you guys might have some insight on this. Thanks!!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have also understood that lichens don't harm plants Journey. It sounds like your dads bush could use rejuvenating. Canes that are more than an inch in diameter are less productive than younger thinner canes.
If it hasn't been pruned for a long time, this is an excellent time to do it. Go through the bush and do the regular maintenance type pruning, cutting out dead , diseased or broken canes. Then take out about three of the oldest canes.
Give it a good fertilizing and it should turn around for you.
Thinning it out will stimulate new canes. Hope that helps a bit.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
That sounds like a good plan. Thanks, thistlebloom! My dad is funny about things sometimes. I have a hard time getting him to take my word for it on stuff like this. I will probably have to sneak out there and do the pruning when he's not looking. ;) Should I fertilize with the same stuff you use for azeleas? Probably ought to do some mulching too. I hear blueberries hate grass/weeds.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Lichens are real oddballs. They are not a single organism but are actually a colony of a particular fungus living in a symbiotic relaionship with algaes and sometimes bacteria also get into the act. They are harmless on plants, never penetrating beyond the outer layers of the bark although, oddly enough, some of them seem to be able to etch themselves into limestone rocks. In Japanese formal gardens they are highly prized since they give the appearance of great age to plants and rocks.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is my understanding that the bushes do kind of peter out, with time... Mine are still tiny and not producing- so I can't help much!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
journey11 said:
I will probably have to sneak out there and do the pruning when he's not looking. ;) Should I fertilize with the same stuff you use for azeleas?
The same fertilizer you use for rhodies and azaleas would be perfect.
Your comment about pruning when your dads not looking made me laugh. I can so relate!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
hoodat said:
In Japanese formal gardens they are highly prized since they give the appearance of great age to plants and rocks.
Oh yes, they are so beautiful and I love their texture. I found some wonderful old foundation stones covered with them out in the woods. I wish I could take them home with me, but they weigh about 200 lbs! :p From what I read, they are a sign of good air quality too.

lesa said:
It is my understanding that the bushes do kind of peter out, with time... Mine are still tiny and not producing- so I can't help much!
I wondered about that too, if they had an age limit. These would be quite old anyway.

thistlebloom said:
Your comment about pruning when your dads not looking made me laugh. I can so relate!
I know, my dad can be quite a turkey sometimes. He is very set in his ways. ;)