Lickbranchfarms 2021 GardenThread

Hey guys, long time no see Lol. Well with deer season closing and finish up on some major obstacles with the house remodal, Life is finally getting back to some sense of normalcy. Anyway, I got started on my cool season seed starting recently, and wanted to get a traditional garden thread started. So far i have big plans for the gardens this year. Last seasons garden was a complete success, I dont think i will be changing much as far as the plant line-up. I will however be adding some additional varieties to the farm.

I recently started my Cabbage, Broccoli, and Beets, and will be starting my Lettuce, Radish's and Kale this weekend. We have some weather coming in on Friday and next week we have like 5 days of rain in the forecast. I have my seed potatoes on hand that will be going in the ground later this month, and some english peas that need to be planted soon.

I spent some time deciding on how i wanted to work in everything in the garden, and I standardized all of my garden space into 7 different areas for this year. The larger gardens will all have 50' rows, except the corn and potato rows will be close to 80'. everything else will be 50'. i did this so i can get some kind of irrigation system started. More than likely i will start the year with wobblers, but some rows will be on drip irrigation. I've also put my chickens to work in the garden, tilling and mixing the compost and goat pen waste. The plan is to move them this coming weekend to the area that I have designated for cool season vegetables. i put together some videos, i plug in this thread as i move along.

I feels good to know garden season is just around the corner here !!!

Spent the weekend getting the mobile chicken lot moved to the area im looking to plant the cool season vegetables in. Im definitely looking into some premier 1 fencing for this task. Its a good bit of work but only moving it every 6 weeks or so makes it ok. Im already working up the ground that the chickens were on last week, getting ready to plant english peas in a few days!

Worked in the garden couple days ago, got the area where the english peas will be planted disced. Planning to run 2 -50' rows on cattle panel trellis's. Rows will probably be 48" apart. I have a lb. of seed, planning on planting both sides of each trellis, 3"- 6" apart. I will be using drip irrigation on these rows. Waiting on some Rhizobia inoculant to come in, and a couple dry days to get them in the ground. I also need to get my seed potatoes cut and subarized so i can get them in the ground soon. I've been dragging my feet because of how wet it is, i dont want to put them in this wet ground and have them rot.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
@majorcatfish been busier than a cat covering poop bud, but i can see light at the end of the tunnel. How about you, you getting ready for garden season? I always enjoyed watching your starts it always amazed me at how well your plants took off.
slowly getting ready for this years gardens. of course last years health issues are almost gone which has held me back from doing everything i wanted to do last fall.
butt planning on having a wonderful season.....

still wanting to drive down this year to meet you and family, keep up the great work down there

Latest posts