Lies Your Parents Told You

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just had a mother and her young son drop off their dog for grooming. The mom asked that the dogs ears be cleaned well, little boy pipped out or potatoes will grow in her ears. I remember my own mom telling me, that if you dont clean your ears potatoes will grow in them. My father used to tells use when we make a face, muscles could freeze and we would have that face the rest of our lives. What lies did your parents tell you?

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
My mother claimed to have an incredible power known as "Mommy Magic." Mommy magic melted garlands onto christmas tree, garnered audiences with the Power Rangers, and other such wonders. Now that I'm all grown up...not sure she was lying. ;-)

My husband won't let us do Santa Clause or anything because he had a bad experience growing up, and will never lie to his son about anything. I however, have lied a couple of times to him, I'm shamed to say. It always goes something like this.

Son: "What you eatin?"
Me: (Hunched in corner with cookie, or some other delight.) "Nothing!"
Son: "Nothing?" (coming closer to try and see.)
Me: (Stuffs entire cookie in mouth) "Nothing!" (Shows hands that are empty.)

I have no way of justifying this. Sometimes, there's only one cookie left, and a mom's gotta do what a mom's gotta do.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not something my parents told me, but something I told my children and grandchildren -- "Mom and Dad know everything". If asked a question I couldn't answer, I replied, "That's one Dad knows". The current extension of Grandma knows everything is Grandma has everything. If a recipe calls for some obscure flavoring or an unknown kitchen tool, Gypsy will smile and ask, "If you have everything, you must have _ _ _ _ _ _ ". With very few exceptions (usually I just ran out of something) I do.

Other than that -- and I may have known everything they asked -- I never lied to my children. I didn't tell them about Santa, the Tooth Fairy, Easter Bunny, etc. They learned of these things from others. Of course, I didn't tell them they weren't true, but when asked if the Tooth Fairy would come, I'd ask them what they thought and non-commitally rephrase their question back to them.

It always 'felt' like lying to tell them something not true. I didn't want them lying to me so I didn't do it to them. Sure would have been easier at times to give them a pat answer rather than explain the whys of everything.

Latest posts