Lilies... Which kind?

ShellieESterling

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Would anyone happen to know the name of these lilies here? I've got a nice big bunch next to the pasture and they sure are pretty.

2655560129_61ba966534.jpg

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
They are probably not a named variety, they are probably the feral orange ones that grow along roads and ditches and such.

They won't bloom as long as named cultivars and are taller and spindlier, but very pretty. The buds are supposedly edible (well, I mean, they ARE edible but I've never tried them). (Does anyone, perchance, happen to know how to dry them to make something comparable to the dried lily buds you buy at the oriental grocery for making hot-and-sour soup etc? I should ask that in another thread...)

Enjoy 'em :)

Pat

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
we've always called them tiger lillys but they are wild. they grow all over here, if you have an area you want to fill up use them. they will take a year or 2 to flower after you transplant them.

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I had those planted in front of my house in CA when I was married. Left the husband, left the house and consequently left the Day lilies. :D

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hemerocallis fulva is a daylily, which is in the lily family but not what we call a 'true lily'. They're an imported plant that has naturalized all over the place. Some put them on the invasive list, but I like them, they're growing in a few places around my yard, they've been there since I moved here.

robbobbin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Yep we call them Tiger lilies if you like them, and ditch lilies if you don't, here in Indiana.
They grow like crazy, but I fear that soon people's over-planting of the stella d Oro daylily will have them taking over-I see them babies EVERYWHERE anymore.

Latest posts