Lines, lines - everywhere there's lines

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Let's say you check Wikipedia and over on the top right-hand side, you learn that your home town is at 33.73,-117.98 -- latitude and longitude.

Click that.

You can find a map - Weather Service or Geological Survey, etc. etc. for your location! If you want, you can go to a Google map.

Your location will appear at the top, for search: loc: 33.73,-117.98

You can go right around the world, or just across the US, and see where else those lines fall. Staying on the same line of latitude is probably the most interesting. All things being equal. Just keep changing that number:
loc: 33.73,-117.98, ...loc: 33.73,-107.98, ...loc: 33.73,-97.98 ...

Steve

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, you always find the coolest stuff. I learn so much I didn't know about the web from you. Interesting all of the links to maps and other content you get when you click on your coordinates. I had noticed the coordinates there before, but never stopped to click on them!

What do you suppose this map is all about?

Or how about this thing? Note it didn't take much (well, any) data to determine that we're all mighty unhappy about this cold and snow. ;)

Gonna have to poke around and see what other useful (or somewhat useful, or otherwise useless) stuff they have in those links.

ETA: Ooh, they have a map of nearby prehistoric sites on there. A couple I know of weren't listed, but still, got some good ideas for future field trips! We'd just been to visit the Grave Creek Mound museum last month, but the mound itself was closed off because of the ice.

Also, that would be so useful for when you go on vacation, to map out points of interest in the area ahead of time.

Last edited:

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, excuse my ignorance, but I don't understand what you mean. Do you mean look up your town on Wikipedia? I was just looking up something and didn't see anything on the upper right that related to latitude.
?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The coordinates are just above the map for Bayview Idaho, Thistle'. Maybe for other communities, the map isn't so high up on the right . . ?

One cannot always expect everything to work on Wikipedia, Journey. That is why they are always asking for volunteers to do the editing.

I have been reading that book about the Celts and the author seems to have gotten most of his ideas from studying maps. Maybe I should say some of those were satellite photos.

My thought was that he might take a look at what a society did that was overrun say, within the last 200 years along with those Celtic lands. The Romans stomped right over everything, 2 millennia ago.

Evidence of Celtic roads in Europe? How about the US Army engineers building a road at something like 10 miles a day heading north out of Fort Walla Walla? Gosh, I wonder if anyone else besides the US military had ever once decided to travel north from that location . . .

You know, Journey, there are native Americans who point to that mound-building and say please stop claiming that there were so few of us on this land before the Europeans showed up.

Steve

Last edited:

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Tried it... got this:
latlongmap.jpg

??

But cool stuff often doesn't work on this computer.
I'll try again this weekend.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I saw that one on mine too. I think it is a map of landmarks and points of interest.

Latest posts