~ LIST OF HERBS & THEIR USES ~

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow :frow

I find this list of herbs very useful to have by me -- I am always looking up various plants to see if they have other than decorative uses! :D

http://asktom-naturally.com/naturally/herbs.html

[ I have edited this to add Journey11's timely warning -- Thanks Journey !! ]

******* Folks who are pregnant, have a medical condition, or on prescription medications be sure to research further and talk to your doctor before beginning any self-treatments. Just because something is natural doesn't mean it is safe for everyone to use********.

:rose Hattie :rose

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
You always find the neatest websites Hattie! Thanks for sharing. This list is very concise and accurate to my knowledge of several herbs I am familiar with.

(Folks who are pregnant, have a medical condition, or on prescription medications be sure to research further and talk to your doctor before beginning any self-treatments. Just because something is natural doesn't mean it is safe for everyone to use).

I will stay away from the Paprika too, so long as I am on this diet! :hide Hehe...

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks Hattie !
I found that link very interesting, so much so that I bookmarked it.
You always share the most interesting things. :thumbsup

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow :frow

Thank you for your kind comments everone. :D

The snow & cold have such a hold here that I have more time to play around on my laptop -- I enjoy poking around finding interesting sites & then sharing them with my friends. I bookmark so many pages & try to keep them organised.

Hi Journey,

Thank you for adding that warning -- I should have thought about that, sorry! :th
I will add it to my original post if I may?

:rose Hattie :rose

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
sure! seems like everything has to carry a disclaimer these days! :p

old fashioned

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Hattie you are the queen of great info links! Will you take requests???

The first site is an awesome list of herbs uses. Now if only I knew how to prepare and use them and what parts. Leaves, roots, stems vs teas, external rubs, etc. (hint, hint :D )

btw, just what is the difference between infusion, decoction, etc???

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Old fashioned, here is a definition (paraphrased) from one book I use, Herbal Healing for Women, by Rosemary Gladstar.

Infusions and Tisanes -- Brewing herb teas. Infusions (also called tisanes) extract the easily rendered vitamins, mucilage and delicate volatile oils. Used when preparing the more fragile parts of the plant: leaves, fruits, seeds, flowers and roots with a high concentration of volatile oils. There are 4 methods commonly used to make an infusion (and this gets into much detail, but is basically what you do when you brew tea--pour boiling water over them and let them sit for anywhere from 3 or 4 minutes, to 20 minutes, or even overnight--depends on the herb you are using).

Decoctions -- Are used to extract more tenacious plant material and are generally used for brewing roots, barks, nuts, and non-aromatic seeds. There are exceptions though, some roots contain volatile oils that would be easily destroyed by high temps (such as goldenseal or valerian) and those would be better to do an infusion. There are 3 common methods used to decoct herbs (more extensive detail). In general this involves placing the herbs into a pot of cold water, covering with a tight fitting lid and slowly bringing it to a boil, reducing to a simmer for about 15 to 20 minutes. Then you either strain and drink hot or you can leave it in the pan with the lid on overnight for an even stronger tea.

There is a lot of good detail in that book on different methods of preparation. Other than teas, there are some things you would tincture in alcohol (ie. gin), or oil (like olive oil or sweet oil), some things you grind and use as a powder or capsule, and some things can be added to a cream as well.

I always thought it would be great to get to the point of being knowledgable enough to stock my own medicine cabinet with some things. I am definitely going to tincture my valerian next year! Today has been one of those days where I wish I had some right now! :p

Latest posts