Live Weather Updates

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah, I saw Accuweather . . . Atlanta? Okay! Maybe I should link that - the weather service says 7°f tonight! Now, pay attention Southerners. You know that crawlspace that the dog likes to use to get under the house? CLOSE that off! Yeah, we left that open during single digitS' in southern Oregon when I was a kid. I don't know how long we had to go with frozen pipes!

I should feel guilty that this morning it is only in the teens here . . . just feel lucky.

Anyway - live updates, if you will, from the Guardian Newspaper in the UK on USA weather! (link)

Where are the US news services live updates? I'll look for them . . . The Guardian has a nice 6 sentence explanation up now from the BBC on the "Polar Vortex" aka the "Polar Pig." By the way, the UK & Europe has had severe storms lately.

Stay warm.

Steve

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Over here in West Virginia we are supposed to be around -1 tomorrow morning, and that will be our daytime high. Wind chill values are going to be -20 to -30 below zero!!!! We havent been this cold in 20 years. Got to keep the water dripping all threw the house for the next few days. Dont need busted water lines.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here is the Weather Underground "feed."

They are following the National Weather Service on twitter, pulling in the local weather stations. (LINK)

You'd think that I wouldn't have to work my way past their most recent news: a crop circle has been seen in Salinas, California - puull eaz!

AP doesn't have a live update but they have some pretty good "around the nation" stories, yesterday at 11pm. For some reason, their weather report link on the AP's front page took me to an August round-up.

Steve

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I just hope the chickens will be ok. Got their heat lamps ready to go for the next two nights. After that they should be ok, supposed to warm back up into the 40's by the weekend.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here in VA too! Going into the single digits with wind chill of -20 or worse! WOW, I don't remember weather like this ever.

Dew, I know lots of folks use heat lamps but they just scare me half to death down in the coop. All that dust & dry bedding combined with silly, flying critters with a talent for breaking things...
I'm going to pile the poo shelf under their roost with hay so they are sorta nesting instead of roosting, and add another foot or so of it in the floor of the coop. I've already covered the door in plastic - and I was really suprised with the instant difference inside that that made. I'm going to try to trust in all the folks who swear that as long as they are dry and out of drafts they will be fine.

..... in truth... I'm afraid they'll end up in dog crates in my spare room
sSc_hiding2.gif

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here in VA too! Going into the single digits with wind chill of -20 or worse! WOW, I don't remember weather like this ever. . .

The updating wind chill map on the Guardian site is painful to look at! Waaay down in the southern part of the MidWest,

double digitS' below.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The WS in Oklahoma uses a combined "Heat Index/Wind Chill" map. What are they saying, if it is windy and 100°, it won't feel that warm?

I guess I don't understand the Heat Index . . .

It is -13° in Bartlesville, OK, really!

edit: Flights are being cancelled into Atlanta. I guess I don't understand that either. Maybe just because it is cold there . . ?

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is 10° colder in St. Louis . .

. than in Denver!!

30mph winds in eastern Missouri, too!

Steve

edit: German Chancellor Angela Merkel was injured in a skiing accident . . . and, somewhere in the world, a naked man had to be extracted from a washing machine using olive oil. These new stories are not equivalent. Ms. Merkel is back home and has had a doctor's visit. She is able to get around with crutches.

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
According to the Weather Channel:

Currently 38ºF in Caribou, Maine . . . 36ºF in Montreal . . . and 35º in Pensacola, Florida.

See, that's what I mean by hype - comparisons like that. They will be comparing Denver & St. Louis next!

Steve

Latest posts