Long in the Tooth?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not if it's an old garden tool!

Two of the most useful gardening tools I have:

DSC00066.JPG

. . . but, they're almost wore out :/.

I'm not sure why the photo makes the 4-prong cultivator tines look so much longer than the rake's. They are between 1/2" and 1" longer and so short that I feel like I'm using a toy out there in the garden.

The rake has lost 3/4" of it's teeth if the information for a comparable model is a good indication. It's mostly for leveling and doesn't get much work "digging." It still has another year or so left to it. I've got another garden rake but it's got a wider track and does too much bouncing over my rough & rocky ground ;).

I'm rather fond of that simple 14-toothed rake. That fondness will last until my work with it becomes ineffective. Then, like the cultivator, I'll find another to do the job. After all, it is the work that I enjoy and the tools that are helpful, doing it :).

*What can you do with what you've got and,

*What can't you do without?

Steve

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I can't do without my garden fork. Oh, and my Felcos and my soil knife. You can see them sticking out of the side pockets of my pants in my avatar. Come to think of it, I love those garden pants, too. Those four things are essential to me and my garden :)

Love that rake, I used to have one like it, but the handle broke, and my (now ex) husband threw it out, instead of replacing the handle :barnie

I've got a long handled claw like that, too, although I don't use it much - I'll have to pull it out and see if it is something I can use more.

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
digitS' said:
What job does your garden knife help you with, Ann?

d'S'
I use it to dig out deep rooted weeds like dandelions - I spend an hour or so out there on my front lawn digging them. I want just that section of lawn to not have them :) I also use it to cut edges in sod - to cut through underground roots when they're in my way - it's a very useful little tool!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
This, of course, is what I replaced it with . . . (click). Kind of "overkill."

I'm very happy with the replacement but it would be about twice as heavy if it didn't have that blue, fiberglass handle. Killer action, tho' . . . :cool:

Smiles, I was at the dentist's office, today. :D

Steve

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I really prize old hoes when they are worn way down. They're quite handy for working close to plants.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
You mean like this one, Hoodat?

DSC00067.JPG

I can't claim to have done all this damage. This was found at a 2nd hand store.

This has been my hoe for about 10 years. I came out of childhood hating hoes but learned somewhere along the line that it was just that I hate hoeing. This little thing probably has some of the same tasks as Ann's garden knife, with a 57" handle.

That handle isn't going to take much pressure anymore especially if it gets wet after I rinse the dirt off :rolleyes:. I've sharpened this hoe for just about the last time also.

I made a "diamond hoe" (click) and may just put a 57" handle on that and begin to use it. One is almost "flicking" weeds out of the ground rather than hoeing with tools like these. Suits my "easy gardening" style . . . ;)

Steve

edited by Steve's digits: steve soaks his sledge hammer before use because the handle is loose. The water-soaked wood swells in the hammer so he doesn't kill himself or passers-by while swinging wildly at posts, stakes and other objects in the garden :rolleyes:.

Latest posts