Look at what's A-hatchin'!

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I didnt know where to put this since they arent pests, so move it if I placed it wrong, I wont mind. :lol:

I found this egg case at my grandma's weeks ago, hanging on her coop! I brought it home and stuck it in a jar and checked this morning and look at what I found!

MantisHatching044.jpg

MantisHatching045.jpg

MantisHatching051.jpg

Baby mantids! I was really shocked at how bright they are. These guys are going in the garden, but one or two might stick around as pets. :lol:

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Isnt it?! In the last pic you can see a brown thing wrapped in web-like stuff. Its a cocoon, a moth hatched in that jar this morning too! The sucker flew away though, haha.

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Very nice find! I found a ladybug this morning, took it out to the pea patch. Hopefully she? will lay eggs to eat some of the green aphids for me. Got to love those beneficial insects! :)

Just out of curiousity...how many would you say hatched out?

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks! I've been finding my share of ladybugs too. I've been guiding them to my garden, we'll see if they help. The roses are infested with aphids this year, so hopefully a few will hang out there too, lol.

I counted 24 one time, then I counted 18 another.... so Im assuming at least 24 hatched. But they were still wiggling out when I came inside so probably more.

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Praying Mantis' lucky you... spread them around or they will eat each other...

farmerlor

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
That's cool!!! I actually ordered some Praying mantis and lady bugs a few years ago. Didn't think they'd survived but last year it seemed like we found them everywhere when we were out in the garden so I'm very happy.

chills

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
that has to be some kind of good luck sign or something, im totally new to the garden/yard thing .. but i've never heard of or seen that .. totally awesome .. thanks for the photos!

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
LOL, Mom! I left with a friend to go somewhere and the whole time I was thinking.... I gotta get home so they dont eat each other! :lol:

Farmer, I thought about ordering one but I found this one instead. Free is way better than $8.95! :gig

Chills, I'll take it as one! I love these bugs, they're so beneficial.