Look out, the Hummers are coming!

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
For the past two weeks we have had droves of hummers! Ten to twenty at a time fighting over my one little feeder. I know they are just passing through, but I went and picked up 2 more feeders. It was so cool, but you had to be prepared to duck when you walked out the door!

IMG_2892.JPG

IMG_3094 1.jpg

IMG_3140.JPG IMG_3167 1.jpg IMG_2818.JPG

It must have been a bumper breeding season up North, or they changed their migration path, I have never seen so many come through. Fill up your feeders, they're on the way!

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh, believe me Mary, I tried. They would zip and dart so fast, there was just a bunch of blurry smudges every time I tried to get a group shot. This is as good as it gets. I guess I need to get better with action shots.

IMG_3096.JPG

There are just a few here today, I will miss them.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have been going through a lot of sugar lately; need to pick up another bag tomorrow. I have 4 feeders up. Funny how they prefer certain feeders. I will miss them too, but I would rather they all migrate than try to spend the winter here like one did a few years ago. I still hope he headed south ahead of the horrible blowing snow/ice we got, but I kind of doubt that he made it. It was February 1 that he last came to our feeder. I was keeping the nectar thawed by keeping a heat lamp on it out side, and bringing it in at night.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
SO COOL! I love hummers. So far the most I have seen at one time is 3 and all they did was drive each other off so no one was feeding. Feisty stinkers. There do seem to be more her than a week ago. I hops so. I have 3 feeders up all summer.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Your poor little hummer, I hope he made out okay, @so lucky.

One hummer kept hovering over DH's head. He has a small crater in the top of his head from a fractured skull as a child. I threatened to put red hummer juice in it. :lol: He wouldn't go for it.

The hummers usually leave here by around Labor Day. There's a bunch back out there tonight and they stay til it gets real dark out.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's so cool Lavender! We have 5 feeders up, and they were busier than they have ever been this summer. Then we only had females for a couple of weeks.
This week they all left. One day they were here, and the next....gone.:(

I'm keeping the hummer juice fresh out there just in case though.

Latest posts