Look what I found at dollar tree

Texas Star

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Okay so I am a thrifty spender, but they really had some nice things at dollar tree. They had all kinds of pots, bulbs, hanging baskets for flowers and seeds!

The seeds were 10 cents a package, and I bought:

3 packs of mixed color petunias
3 packs of cleome, I never heard of this one, but the package shows a really pretty pink flower
1 pack of sweet william tall double, mixed colors

I've planted petunias before, but I have no idea about the others.

Is anyone experienced with cloeme or sweet william?
:dance

chickenboy8

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I went to wally world before and found all they ten sent seeds at the very back were you could hardly see them. I bought 15 - 20 packs. :)

They were behind the 4 doller packs. Got every vegtable I wanted.

GardenGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Sweet William is a big butterfly attractant as it is a food for the caterpillar of some species of butterflies. I don't recall which type however. Hope this little bit of info helps. :)

Texas Star

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I just went to wal mart a couple of weeks ago, and went to lowe's last weekend. Seeds weren't cheap.

I'd like to find some walmart 10 cent seeds. :rainbow-sun

ozark hen

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Oh, my goodness, I absolutely love Cleome! They are tall, about 3 ft or so and have these long spikey like stems that stick out all over...they are soft though and huge clusters of pink flowers. I used to hear them called spider plants because of the thingys that stick out. Very, very pretty. Once you get a good start they come back every year...or they are suppose to...I had some once but they didn't come back :( You make me want to get some more. They bloom all summer long if I am not mistaken? They really are a show stopper. Keep us posted on them ok? :watering

Texas Star

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I will, I am going to start them as seeds and hope that they bloom this summer, but from what I read about them, they seem to do well in a hot climate.

I'll take some pics too, if they flower.

ozark hen

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I see lots of yards with cleome in them. I planted seeds the time they did come up. Lots of blooms, I looked for the seed today but got side tracked with herbs and forgot all about picking up some! :(

aquarose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hi Texas Star! I LOVE Sweet Williams. However, they are a biennial. Plant them this year, and you will get nice little plants with pretty green leaves but no flowers. Next year, you will get beautiful plants with gorgeous flowers. They complete their life cycle in two years. Try to plant again next year so you will have flowering plants every year. They might reseed themselves, taking care of this for you. Sweet Williams always remind me of the colors and patterns of oriental rugs for some reason. Good Luck!

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
direct-seed your cleome, they are not the easiest thing to start indoors. If they like your garden they will self seed forever and ever. Pretty flowers (well anyhow I like them). And somewhat more deerproof than a lot of flowers are.

Pat

Latest posts