Looking for guidance

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Room to grow is an important issue and I have such limited room at home and so much room available at a distant garden ;). Succession planting is still important to me at both gardens.

Seed from this company is available locally and what seems like sensible plans for a small garden with succession planting are available on their website LINK. Both long & short season garden plans are on the webpage. There are also plans for a framed raised bed.

In your far north location, The Savvy Gardening website may be a good choice for ideas. Niki Jabbour has written some written some useful books about protective growing.

The Cooperative Extension websites for Oregon State, Purdue, Cornell and Texas A & M have provided me with a good deal of information. I should also mention North Carolina State, Colorado State and the University of California, as well. A google search with a "site:edu" will bring up the Extension websites for answers to some of your more technical questions as they come along. All gardening is local but some information can be broadly applied.

Steve

Eleanor

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You seem to be in Michigan. Great Lakes Staple Seeds has a lot of articles that might be helpful for you, but they're mainly focused on grains.

On this note, if you're buying seeds from a company located far away from you, adapt their instructions appropriately for your area.

Thank you @nune for the shoutout! Overall our focus is on staple crops for northern growers but recently our emphasis has turned to small-scale grain production as it's apparent there is growing interest ( ;) ) in adding these crops to personal and community gardens.

@Northern Gnome I would definitely reach out to the good folks at MSU's UP Research and Extension Center as they are best suited to advise under your specific growing conditions: https://www.canr.msu.edu/uprc/ And if you are inclined to venture below the bridge - the Central Michigan Seed Swap in Midland in February is a worthwhile event - https://www.smallhousefarm.com/seedswap/

May your 2023 season be joyfully productive!

Latest posts