Looking for love

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is mating season for moose and this big guy was in Ava's neighborhood a few days ago. The school bus driver took a detour so the kids could see this big fella. My son John took this photo, which made the local news on TV several times that day. The EnCon guys tried to chase him back into the woods, he went, but I don't really think he was intimidated by them. :rolleyes:

JackB

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh he's a handsome guy Jack!

Yeah, we have yet to see a moose around here intimidated, if they leave it's because it was their idea anyway.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
We had one come clomping down the center of the road a few years ago looking in windows like a tourist. Some idiot came running down the road chasing the beast. I have no idea of what he was going to do if he caught it. If he did it would have served him right. The moose just cut through the property across the street, jumped a small fence and ambled away.

JackB

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
We heard about a former neighbor who honked at a bull that was standing in the middle of the road, the bull demolished his car....

Maybe we could introduce your bull to this young lady -

7504_december_2012_moose_024.jpg

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Great shot of the Moose. I would say he is a younger fella by the size of his palms. Not that he is small by any means. I would NOT get close.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Carol Dee said:
Great shot of the Moose. I would say he is a younger fella by the size of his palms. Not that he is small by any means. I would NOT get close.
John is professional photographer with great telephoto lenses and a healthy respect for wildlife. Many of his photos have been published in The Conservationist, New York State Encon Department's magazine. Outdoor photography is kind of family affair and Miss Ava is joining the club.

JackB

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Great pics!! I havent seen a moose this year yet, but its getting close to hunting season so i'll probably see one on somebody's truck soon :/

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is the time of year when all that "big game" tends to vanish, altho' I saw a doe and 2 fawns last week (also, 6 turkeys).

Last month, a lady with 6 people in the car, hit a moose just north of Spokane Washington. They all had to be taken to the hospital. One boy was airlifted out. All were wearing seatbelts the news said. No report on the condition of the moose.

Winter is another time when they are down on the highways - too much snow.

Steve