looking forward to a weed?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
For me, it will be redroot pigweed.

I will have to catch it just right. The flavour seems very much like beet greens. I may be able to get some today but the plants are still very small the last time I checked.

By the way, isn't there a better name than "redroot pigweed?" Not so evocative of haute cuisine, is it? . . . and, how come spell checker knows that French phrase but really goes crazy with the name of the weed?

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
So that's what that is! I just googled an image since I wasn't sure exactly which weed it was, what I have thought of as pigweed is actually purslane.
I always thought it had two names.:p
I had pigweed going wild in one of my beds last year, it's also the rockiest soil, just in case that matters. That darn stuff goes to seed when it's still an infant! The massive amount I had must have been all the offspring of
one that I ignored.So now I know it's proper name....tastes good you say?

I spent an hour this morning at the crack of dawn crawling around the front garden pulling weeds so I can get my Painted Mountain in this evening. They came out of that tilled ground smooth as butter, but they are thick as shag carpeting. Mostly Lambs Quarters (do you have to capitalize weed names? Or are they more casual...?), which I like when they're little. I got a 20 gallon tree pot pressed down and overflowing which I tossed to the girls. Oh, there was quite a bit of that bindweed that got way ahead of me last year too. It felt good pulling those puppies out.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, you are supposed to feel good about pulling weeds, Thistle'.

Somewhere on TEG, I have a picture of a pigweed (uncapitalized) that is all of 3/4" and going to seed. I'm trying to remain composed if no complacent about weeds showing up. What are you gonna do?

I like lambs quarters but have so much of the very similar orache that it just doesn't have its appeal anymore. Anyone eat salsify, and when is it harvested?

Steve

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've just about gotten all of the redroot pigweed out of my garden after years of faithfully pulling it. I have tried the raw leaves and they are tasty, but it is just so determined to take over, I can't allow any to stay. If you try to pull one up and it breaks off, it will splay out and instantly work on going to seed horizontally...where you can't see it, miss it and on it goes.

kathiesgarden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I know this discussion is about redroot pigweed, but for me, the most obnoxious weed is 'quack grass'. I spent most of Saturday and half of today digging an entire garden up that had been infested with quack grass. I am going to let it stay unplanted for a while so if there are any 'quacking' survivors, I will be able to find them and get rid of them!! Rant, rant, rant.
Kathie

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm overrun with quackgrass too, because it is good cattle forage and because this acreage used to be part of a farm. I don't think I'll ever be completely rid of it, but I am determined to keep it out of my garden by whatever means necessary.

Here's a link that was an aside in the article you referenced above, Steve, that was just something I had been looking for! http://www.gardenguides.com/843-defense-weeds.html It has a long list of weeds and what they tell you about the quality of your soil. My garden has been a carpet of chickweed each spring for the last 3 years or so. If this article is right, then I must be in good shape then and can enjoy a chickweed salad guilt free. :p

Latest posts