Lower leaves yellow on newly planted tomatoes

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I planted our tomato plants about a week and a half ago. They all looked good. The last two days I have noticed the lower branches and leave yellowing. It seriously has done nothing but rain for the last 2 weeks. Could this be the culprit? I was going to take those branches off. Should I or should I leave them? Or is it possibly something else?

Thanks a bunch!

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I think sometimes it can signal a problem, but I also think plants putting a lot of energy in to growth and production will sacrifice the lower leaves in order to put all their energy where it counts.

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Would the two of you take them off or leave them? I'm ok with the idea that they are doing that to put the energy where it counts!

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i always watch those lower leaves and the next set up after planting them. if the next set up and the tops have no visible signs of issues they are probably healthy. watch for spotted leaves just to be sure on those upper leaves.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah, take the yellow ones off. They won't be adding anything to the plant, and that way you can keep watch on the plant to see if any more turn yellow.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
When I grow tomato plants from seed, if they don't get planted when they get to the right size, they often start yellowing from the bottom up. I think they are crowded in their little peat pots. Once they are put out in the garden and I pinch off the yellow leaves, they perk up and do fine.

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If it's rained that much, that's where I would put my money. Just remove the lower yellow leaves and watch the rest. Once it dries out, you'll be fine.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
yeah. i think we've had at least 5 inches of rain the past 2 weeks here in the northeast. :rolleyes: so i now feel like i should have gone with ducks instead of chickens. ;) i don't know about StubbornHill's opinion.