Lowe's Bargain

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
i've noticed when i bought the bundles in the past they have many more that what they say they should have. so it is always a bonus for those! i'm hoping my local Home Depot or Lowes will have the Walla Walla this year too.

They only had one small box, which was quarter full when I grabbed my pack. I was surprised to see them, as I wanted to try them for some time.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I was excited to buy a bunch of 4-packs vegetables at Rural King, tomatoes, sweet peppers, jalepanos and cabbage, and then, when I checked out they turned out to be on sale for 99 cents each, so each plant was a quarter. I got all of the 24 cabbages in the ground. Tomorrow I will take my geraniums out of their window box planters and into beds and transplant the tomatoes and peppers into the window box planters, which will live on the front porch ledges until the end of May. I see no point of putting them in the ground until it's REALLY warmed up. We had a frost even last week.
I think everybody is selling bargains this year, but I'm happy for all of you who have found them!! :D

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm happy you found Walla Walla ;).

I understand early settlers in their prairie schooners were happy to find Walla Walla, too. Not the onion ... that took Italian Americans showing up there about 50 years later.

Oregon Trail and all that ... if they wanted, those folks could leave the prairie schooners behind and float most of the rest of the way to their new homes, in Oregon Territory.

Steve

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Such a serious gardener you have there, jackb. No, I don't remember being able to get into that position and I fear it would take an ambulance crew to get me upright if I tried.

Yesterday I installed a raised bed at Ava's house and her dad was there to record her planting her first plant. She wanted the photo to Instagram to all her little friends. I would not be surprised to see little gardens springing up all over the neighborhood. Monkey see, monkey do. ;)
jackb

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Her mom sent me this photo this morning. She popped out of bed, grabbed her shirt and boots and was off to water her garden before the sun hit it. Oh for the enthusiasm of youth. We only planted a few plants because there is still a good chance of frost here in NYS. I envy her location as it gets the sun from sunrise to sunset. Also, I am waiting for the next shoe to drop: "Pop will you build me a greenhouse?"