Lunar gardening

allabout

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Every year our local bank provides its customers with a free calender. Oh, not just any calender, but one that provides on the first page an "explanation as to how you can make practical use of the signs of the zodiac as shown on your American Almanic calender". The calender provides an image during each month to let you know what phase the moon is in, as well as an explaination of barren signs (Gemini, Leo and Virgo) and fruitful signs (Cancear, Scorpio or Pisces). My Grandma still still hangs this calender on the side of the refridgerator. A matter of fact, Grandma sent this calender to me to use. Long are the days of endless planting, harvesting, washing, canning 'till 2 in the morning that she use to do. Now she just plants a couple tomato plants here and there and discards a few unwanted honeysuckle vines. But never does she do either without looking at her calender.

Planting by the moon is not a new idea. It is based both in folklore and superstition, but there are scientific ideas to back it up. The Earth is in a large gravitational field, influenced by both the sun and moon. The tides are highest at the time of the new and the full moon, when sun and moon are lined up with earth. Just as the moon pulls the tides in the oceans, it also pulls upon the subtle bodies of water, causing moisture to rise in the earth, which encourages growth. The highest amount of moisture is in the soil at this time, and tests have proven that seeds will absorb the most water at the time of the full moon.

At the new moon, the lunar gravity pulls water up, and causes the seeds to swell and burst. This factor, coupled with the increasing moonlight creates balanced root and leaf growth. This is the best time for planting above ground annual crops that produce their seeds outside the fruit. Examples are lettuce, spinach, celery, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, and grain crops. Cucumbers like this phase also, even though they are an exception to that rule.

In the second quarter the gravitational pull is less, but the moonlight is strong, creating strong leaf growth. It is generally a good time for planting, especially two days before the full moon. The types of crops that prefer the second quarter are annuals that produce above ground, but their seeds form inside the fruit, such as beans, melons, peas, peppers, squash, and tomatoes. Mow lawns in the first or second quarter to increase growth.

After the full moon, as the moon wanes, the energy is drawing down. The gravitation pull is high, creating more moisture in the soil, but the moonlight is decreasing, putting energy into the roots. This is a favorable time for planting root crops, including beets, carrots, onions, potatoes, and peanuts. It is also good for perennials, biennials, bulbs and transplanting because of the active root growth. Pruning is best done in the third quarter, in the sign of Scorpio.

In the fourth quarter there is decreased gravitational pull and moonlight, and it is considered a resting period. This is also the best time to cultivate, harvest, transplant and prune. Mow lawns in the third or fourth quarter to retard growth.

I can hear in my head the conversations between us that go something like this....(me:) "I am about to plant some cucumber seeds" and her responding, "we're in the barren signs, Child, their ain't no way you need to do that...wait 'till...." Oh, I'm calling her tonight to thank her for my new calender.

I am wondering.....does anyone else practice lunar gardening? :idunno

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I tried that a couple of times. Didn't work for me though, things just died or lived regardless of the moon.

Wait, what sort of moon keeps rabbits out of your garden? That's the astronomical calendar I need...

Latest posts