Lupin Farm's 2010 Garden

lupinfarm

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I decided to kind of keep a journal for our SFG/Raised Bed garden this year. From construction of the raised beds to harvest, and everything in between.

March 15th 2010

Kevin helped me put in the 2 pea beds this afternoon and we filled them up. They could both do with some more 'Mel's Mix', especially the one that doesn't have the trellis frame on it. The idea with these frames is that I'll get some Trellis netting from Home Depot and string it up on them, like Mel does in the SFG book, the only difference is that my frames are able to have 6 mil poly stapled to them to create a little hot house. To keep the trellis netting still at the bottom, a 2"x2" piece of wood will be run along the top of the raised bed frame, and the netting will be tied to it.

raisedbeds2_march15.jpg

raisedbeds_march15.jpg

And a photo of the potager kitchen garden in the front yard. It has yet to be touched for the season except by the chickens. I need to pull all the old vegetable matter out of it, and amend the soil before this year starts up as well as stick some small poly tunnels on the small square so I can start some veggies in there.

potagergarden_march15.jpg

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Looks great lupinfarm!! ;)

Thats looks like a great place to grow peas!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Looking real good! I think you will really be able to extend your growing season- nice job!!

Mattemma

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Nice pics.I like the trellis.That would be great for my raspberries or grapes with some eye hooks and wires going across.As soon as it dries up a bit I am going to start taking pictures too.

lupinfarm

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
April 30th 2010

Wow I haven't posted in a long time! I planted my peas in the one bed with the trellis frame on it shortly after I posted the photos and they sprouted nicely! The only downside is that we haven't had a lot of rain so they're a bit stunted so this week I started watering them with the rain barrel water. My potatos are growing in the 6 buckets I have planted already, about 20 more buckets are getting planted tomorrow so we have potatos later in the season.

peas.jpg

I planted some Toms in one of the beds but I'm afraid I may have actually killed them by accident. I covered them the other night because it was kind of cold out and windy and slept in by accident the next morning on what happened to be an absolutely baking day. Yeah, I baked them a little so now 2 or 3 have wilted but 1 is still very much alive.

toms.jpg

Along with getting the vegetable garden set up and going for the year we also bought another pear tree to go with our 2 we already have in the orchard. We've also been cleaning the property up and mowing down areas that were once kind of nuts and wild. This little hill last year (and I think I posted photos somewhere) was all overgrown, it hadn't been mown since we moved in 2 years ago and just yesterday I finally got around to mowing it down.

hill.jpg

Looks way better now! You can see the Rhubarb there, one is super old and huge and the other is quite young.

And this is the little front kitchen garden before being cleaned up, as you can see I am growing chickens! I'll post photos tonight of it all cleaned up and we're starting to plant it out with more periannuals.

growingchickens.jpg

Latest posts