Made my first Blueberry jam last night.

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
That was so much fun! So easy and there was a little left in the pan that didn't make it to the jars, so...my honey and I had a piece of toast with really fresh jam on it! YUM! Tonight, I will try peach jam with fresh picked peaches!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Blueberry is my absolute favorite- but I have never had fresh peach jam. I am going to guess that would be yummy!!! Are you growing your own peaches??

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I don't grow them. Maybe next year we'll get some fruit trees. Too much on the to-do list for this year! We stopped at a friends house yesterday who owns a farm. He is a recently single 50 some odd year old man who can't appear to cook for himself or pick fruit! :D His trees were just loaded with peaches and he told me that I could pick some if I wanted. He wasn't going to. On one tree the fruit was so heavy that the top of the tree actuall split and broke. He did hint that "he heard" Peach Cobbler was pretty good with whipped cream. So tonight, I will make him a peach cobbler and one for my husband and I and also the jam. That will give me an excuse to go back to his house and score some more fresh peaches! I'll let you know how it turns out. I just ran to the store on my lunch break and bought the cutest 1/2 pint? jars from Ball. They are little designer jars. I thought they would be perfect for a little gift giving.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow- thank goodness for helpless men!! Peach cobbler- now you've got my stomach growling!

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
hahaha! I don't even know why I mention it other than I think it is soooo funny! I guess I like food WAY too much to ever think about missing too many meals. :D

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
If you have extra peaches do yourself a favor and make peach butter. Its in the Blue Ball Book, the variation with the clove, cinnamon, etc. Its SOO good. Takes a while to cook down but its well worth it. We prefer it to any of the peach jams we've tried and its a very simple recipe too. We've already picked 2 peck of peaches to make peach butter with to give you an idea of how much we like that recipe.

And if you want to try another blueberry jam recipe here's one we thats a big hit for us too.

Spiced Blueberry Honey Jam

2 1/2 cups course chopped blueberries

2 1/2 cups granulated sugar

1 cup liquid honey

1 tbsp lemon juice

1/2 tsp ground nutmeg

1 pouch liquid fruit pectin

Place blueberries, sugar, honey, lemon juice and nutmeg in large saucepan. Bring to a full boil over high heat and boil hard for 2 minutes stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in pectin. Ladle into hot jars and water bath 10 minutes. Makes 4 cups

That recipe has rich blueberry flavor while not being overly sweet.

And just the thought of peach cobbler has me drooling all over the keyboard :drool

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Wow! Hooray, and good for you! I teach classes for jamming and people never realize how fun and easy it can be.

Today I took our peaches and made French Vanilla Peach Sauce! YUM!

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just had dinner yet this thread is making me hungry! Peach jam is yummy. I made two batches this year, along with violet and wild blackberry. Put some in those cute jars. Everyone loves homemade jams!

trunkman

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Planted blueberry bushes this year, can't wait till they mature so I can make jam, I'm envious!! :)

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I let my husband do the mashing of the peaches. They were pretty firm still, not quite ripe really but smelled delish cooking.

8199_peach_jam_boiling.jpg

This is what we have so far. The peach jam took much longer to cook for some reason before it reached the correct consistancy on the spoon test. It tasted good right out of the pan and looks pretty. We'll see what happens. :D My husband made two peach cobblers with whole wheat flour last night while I worked on supper. Half of ours is gone already! It was yummy.

8199_peach_and_blueberry_jam.jpg

Latest posts