Made my First Pumpkin Pie!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Smart Red, do you have any farming friends or neighbors you could go in on for the turkey? We've thought of doing this with hogs on my BIL's place. He has the space, we'll each buy a feeder pig, he'll care for them, we'll supply the feed/etc, and all share in the butchering process. Gotta think outside my acre sometimes! :D

If you grow cranberries, you've definitely got to keep us briefed on that project.

My big tip for beginning pie makers--get all of the ingredients and the room very cold. Your crust won't be tough if the butter/shortening stays firm and can't melt away while you're working. The filling is easy, just follow the directions. I also have a recipe for something called a "German No-fail pie crust". It contains a tbsp of white vinegar and one egg in addition to the normal crust ingredients. I can find that for you if you want. It will always make a flaky crust and you can't overwork it. The vinegar leaves no odor.

Catjac, how long have you been on your diet? This is a particularly difficult time of year to start one!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
journey11 said:
. . . The filling is easy, just follow the directions. . .
Hey!!

The filling is MY job! And . . . and . . . and, you've got to be genetically predisposed to following directions! Not everyone is, ya know!

Ummm, I'm on my 3 pieces of fruit with breakfast diet, in case anybody cares :/. Honey Crisp apple, small banana & persimmon followed by pumpkin pie with a couple 10oz mugs of black coffee.

Steve

Coffee.gif

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Persimmon season, Thistle'.

What do you suppose it is like living where they grow in folk's yards?

Remember how Huckleberry and Jim decided that they'd make partial amends for their thievery on their way down the river by not stealing crabapples and persimmons? They didn't like to eat crabapples and the persimmons weren't ripe, anyway . . . Well, the persimmons are coming ripe :p.

I'll be turning orange - maybe folks will think I've been vacationing in the tropics :rolleyes:.

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I never did acquire a craving for persimmons, and I grew up where they grew in peoples yards.

But I can tell you that a ripe one makes quite a hit, especially when pitched at the annoying boy next door! :p

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
While most of the folks around here can't tell a ripe persimmon from a ripe tomato, I LOVE them. Acquired a taste for them my mis-pent year in Oregon and California many years ago.

I don't expect to be overly successful, but I do have one hardy? persimmon tree in my orchard in hopes of someday getting a few.

Love, Smart Red

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
This might have been more helpful prior to Thanksgiving. :p Sorry I forgot to check back on this thread!

German No-Fail Pie Crust

Mix together:
4 c. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. sugar

Cut in:
1 3/4 c. shortening (I like the butter flavor Crisco)

In a small bowl combine:
1 egg, beaten
1 tbsp. white vinegar
1/2 c. cold water

With a fork, gently stir the egg mixture into the flour mixture until combined. Proceed as you would with a regular pie crust. Makes 2 pies (top and bottom crust). Can be put in a ziploc bag and kept in the fridge up to a week or frozen for later use.

I've had this recipe in my arsenal for several years and always get a lot of requests for pies made with it. I like to brush the tops with milk and sprinkle with sugar before they go into the oven too.

Teka

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I still have Connecticut field pumpkins in the garage fridge -- but the local grocery store had leftover Halloween pumpkins for $1.50 -- so I used one for my Thanksgiving pies. Not sure if it was supposed to be a pie pumpkin, probably not -- but the results were great.

We are thinking of raising a turkey next year, as we too (except for cranberries) came really close to having an entire dinner from our garden.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow, Teka :)!

We haven't seen you since . .

. everything okay with you during and post-Sandy?

Steve

Latest posts