Magnate School Open House

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Last Friday evening my wife and I were invited by 2 of our grandkids to attend their Magnet School open house in Oregon. I was chosen by my granddaughter ( she is my Doctor and practices medicine on me ) to go to her preschool kindergarden class. ( open house was for 1 1/2 hours in the evening) She showed us her paintings, alphabet, numbers, and her "reading" from a library book ... 30 pages of word for word by memory after teacher read this book for the first time that morning). Later the class performed 5 Christmas songs for everyone. My wife went to our grandson's 2nd grade class . He made a verbal presentation to everyone attending about their class horticulture project. 18 kids in his Science and Mathematics Magnet School Class. Each child planted beans in one gallon containers in the greenhouse, each container had soil from the school grounds the other had composted organic soil. No fertilizers were used. Each child cared for their own plants throughout the experiment from start to finish. Results : The organic bean plants were larger than the others, however, when both types of soil were washed away from the roots, the soil grown plants had much larger root systems, and when the bean pods were harvested and measured the soil grown plants had a yield of more beans and weighed more than the organic soil grown plants. His conclusion: if one was growing greens and food for eating the organic soil grown plants would produce the most edible foodstuff. If one was to grow seed or edible fruiting portions of the plant the regular soil plants would produce more. He did have specific numbers for the yields in his presentation , but my wife didn't remember them yesterday when she told me about the experiment project. Other projects involved, math., building projects, robots, electronic projects, etc. as well as the normal reading, writing, history, etc.. :)

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
a better control for this would be to continue on the experiment to see if seeds that were taken from those 2 soil types were planted in the same mediums would continue to produce the same results, or gradually get better or worse over time.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sounds like a fantastic school, Bob. There should be more schools like that, I know you are proud of your grand kids!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
My nephew and niece attend magnet schools in Nashville. I don't know why regular public schools can't incorporate some of the targeted learning and experimentation like the magnet schools do. They just seem to be having such a good time learning. Bobm, it sounds like your grandkids are really enjoying their school and their grandparents.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
@bobm your g'son is correct on beans. Why they are not grown on muck-more vine, less fruit.

Grasses & root crops, higher organic, better the yield

Color me impressed with his teacher and him

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
@bobm your g'son is correct on beans. Why they are not grown on muck-more vine, less fruit.

Grasses & root crops, higher organic, better the yield

Color me impressed with his teacher and him
Thank you , I am impressed with him as well as the rest of the grandkids as they all seem to have lots of grey matter and common sense. Our youngest granddaughter just turned ONE years old and already she calls me on her mom's cell phone by herself almost every day. Does'nt say too much yet though. :woot

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Color me green with envy!!!!!!!!! Happy for U.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
My son's wife's father known as Opa to 2 of our Grandkids bought a Disneyland Christmas vacation for his 3 kids and 6 grandkids. Well, on the day before Christmas , his father ( Grandkids' Great Grandfather ) died at the age of 91. His funeral is today, so all spent the last few days in Cal. to attend the funeral. Not a very happy ending after the thrill of Disneyland for all of the Great Grandkids as well as us. May he rest in PEASE !!!

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes. but in Canada... His family was from Germany that moved to Russia when Catherine the Great gave land grants to top German farmers. When the communists were on the move, they escaped to Canada during WW1 , He and Great Grandma moved to Cal 10 years ago to be near their son "Opa" ( our 2 grandkids' grandfather )and 3 grandkids, since then ,their 6 great grandkids where born.