Mail Carriers and dog bites

Status
Not open for further replies.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Why must male dogs be neutered? We neutered current one because he is 97# of solid muscle and afraid of his own shadow. Shy dogs are a danger-IMHO. Not neutering a male dog does not make someone a bad owner.

Dangerous dogs are as Bob described are for the owners to control.

@ducks4you Check with a lawyer but a "No trespassing" sign does not take away your liabilities. Putting up a "Beware of Dog" sign makes you guilty if someone is bitten as lawyer will say, you knew of danger and did not take corrective measures.
The dog I spoke of was when I was a teen. Not too many people fixed their dogs then. We lived in a small city and just opened the door and let him out. He wondered all over the last. This 60 pound dog took a liking to my friends pomeranian and she cried to get out to him and shunned her kind. He stayed at her door for 3 straight days one time. He wore a name tag and we would get calls to come get him from various owners of female dogs in heat. They would appologize to us--I don't think that would happen today. He loved children. One time my mother read in the paper that there was a dog visiting the local school at recess. he was stealing balls and hats from the children and they would chase him to get their things back. We were sure it was him. I know he had a blast with the kids chasing him. We tried to be better dog owners after that. He lived to be 17.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yep cat our childhood dog was spayed, it was free from when we adopted her. But never went to vet, never vaccinated always ran loose in neighborhood ate the cheapest food supermarket had live till 15 .

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
A neighbor has very nearly made us her enemy because of her dogs. It is a shame because she is a nice, older lady. I like her son and grandkids. Nice people.

Her dogs are way too protective and demonstrative. If no one is hurt, I would be pleased to see her unneutered German Shepherd break her front window when someone approaches her house. Maybe, and with luck, I won't see him in her backyard after that. The only reason I can think to ever come to her door is if the house is on fire. The firemen would likely bring the police who would probably kill the dogs.

Dogs plural, because there is a male Doberman. These dogs are kept indoors a lot, probably because she knows that the neighbors don't appreciate them. She has a 5' chainlink fence in her backyard but one neighbor built a 6' privacy fence about 2' inside her property line just so she, her daughter and their Dachshund could be outdoors without being tormented.

The German Shepherd replaced a Husky. When she moved in with the Husky (& Doberman), I learned to stay away from the fence. He would begin to tear things up in her yard! Plants out of the ground, seat cushions ... it was actually quite comical. Perhaps, I should have stayed by the fence longer until he completely trashed her yard, began ripping the siding off. He was gone in a year or so but I'd been trained by then to only go near the fence when the dogs were locked indoors.

At this time of year, they will bark whenever they see me. A few weeks ago, they would bark as long as they could see me. If my 30 minutes of exercise was spent shoveling snow, they would bark for 30 minutes. Soon, and because they are seeing me so often, I won't get more than a threatening look, unless I come near that fence.

Steve

pale towodi

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
... but there are many (postal, utility, government, emergency services, etc.) who have a legitimate right to knock on your front door, without fear of injury.

NO ONE has a "RIGHT" to knock on my door. No one has a "RIGHT" to be on my property.
If not invited you are trespassing and you sure do not have a "RIGHT" to anything or to occupy my property.

When those people start paying bills, taxes, repairs, etc. here then we may discuss rights.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
T he humane society " rescued " over 100 Japanese Fighting Dogs and their crosses ( not to mention the street dogs from the US and more important from foreign countries ) from S. Korean dog meat breeders that had litterally NO socialization, then " adopted " them out . What chance do the people getting these dogs have to successfully control them ?

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
NO ONE has a "RIGHT" to knock on my door. No one has a "RIGHT" to be on my property.
If not invited you are trespassing and you sure do not have a "RIGHT" to anything or to occupy my property.

When those people start paying bills, taxes, repairs, etc. here then we may discuss rights.
I believe what the OP meant was people that needs to visit your property for reasons such as mail delivery, emergency services, plumbing repairs, police duties, etc.

Say, for example your neighbours phone the Police because they saw or heard something going on on your place that caused concern. Those Police officers have the right to visit your property. Ditto emergency services personnel. Mail delivery, unless you made other arrangements. Courier deliveries, unless you made other arrangements. Etc.

When I lived in South Africa I remember hearing that there is a law, or regulation in place for people with aggressive, or otherwise dangerous dogs. They had to put some measures in place for people to be able to contact them without entering the property, for example through in intercom or bell at the gate. If no such measure was in place and the visiting person (for example postman, electricity meter reader, TV licence inspector, etc) had to enter the property to perform their duty, and was attacked by the owner's dog(s), the owner was liable and in serious trouble.

pale towodi

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
@sumi Just because someone has a certain secular job, it does not give them the "right" to be on my property.
I am not a puppet like most people and the "system" is what is wrong with our society today. Some peoples desire to have power over all others and control things that the Creator never intended for them...that's why they "make their own" rules, laws, etc....
Look at nature..it does not work that way. The "system" in society is like a sparrow controlling a lion in nature. It will not end well for the sparrow...just watch. :cool:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
A century ago, rural electrification brought utility easements almost everywhere.

Sparrows and hawks are part of a natural world where dog eats dog. Individuals can accept that but never live together by the millions without interpersonal agreements stretching beyond human generations.

I am responsible for a sidewalk. Although, I'm not sure what all I "own." Title records are stored in a courthouse and me stretching a tape measure from post to post seems to indicate that the area where a sharp-shinned hawk chased sparrows through some rose bushes I planted 20 years ago is beyond my property line. The sidewalk is beyond that. "My" roses bushes and thorns may close the sidewalk to pedestrians but they and others could legally require me to prune the plants. Or, government agencies may do the work and require payment. I cannot have a dog that bites with access to that sidewalk. There is currently confusion regarding even the property line but I really have little choice if I continue to live my life without full independence from the activities of other humans.

If the road department widens the road on land not owned by me, they may use the ground under that sidewalk, the fence that I built beside it, and those rose bushes. Perhaps I would be left with no sidewalk to shovel free of winter snow and neighborhood children can walk to school in the road. As best as I can measure, I would also lose half of what I now think of as my front yard.

Steve

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
@sumi Just because someone has a certain secular job, it does not give them the "right" to be on my property.
I am not a puppet like most people and the "system" is what is wrong with our society today. Some peoples desire to have power over all others and control things that the Creator never intended for them...that's why they "make their own" rules, laws, etc....
Look at nature..it does not work that way. The "system" in society is like a sparrow controlling a lion in nature. It will not end well for the sparrow...just watch. :cool:
We are all allowed to have our own thoughts and opinions and should respect each others' differences in opinions and thoughts. I personally do not feel I am a "puppet" for allowing society to impose some regulations and rules to protect and serve myself and other citizens. I am and was grateful in the past for Police officers and emergency services personnel's "right" to come onto my property. You may not feel the same way and that is fine so, but like I said above, let's respect each others' views here. We all have our own ways that we feel comfortable with.

If you'd like to continue the discussion, feel free to send me a private message.

Now, let's get this thread back on track. I believe we were talking about dogs and animal control before veered off-topic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts