Major groundhog problems

Kismet

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I have had a terrible problem with groundhogs that this past summer became a major infestation - a family or two. They ate all my cole plants, cilantro, carrot and beet tops, kale, swiss chard, sunflowers, nasturtiums, finally they started on the celery and tomatoes. I have tried sulfur bombs, carbon monoxide poisoning, Havaheart traps (they never went in - too much good stuff outside), electric fence (they have tunnels that go from outside to inside), and a friend came over with his gun - he saw them, but couldn't shoot because of the proximity of other house through the woods.

So, now it is winter, and as I clear up the grounds, I have found a few more holes that were hidden under the hosta and daylily debris. I know that groundhogs hibernate in holes they have dug underneath the frost line; their respiration goes down to about 2 times a minute. But I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on eradication - would it be easier now that they are five or six feet underground? I would like to keep them there! with their feet in the air!

Thank you so much for any advice. I am not feeling very kind towards them, so I will not hesitate to use a less than cruel solution.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hi Kismet, Welcome to TEG!

Groundhogs are the worst! I have no experience with the bombs, or trying to do them in during hibernation. Their burrows can be 20-25 feet with multiple exits which must be closed for the bombs to be effective. It may be worth a try if you are fairly certain you have closed all exits and it's a safe area to use them.

The only thing that worked for me was live trapping, early in Spring while other food is scarce and before the babies show up. It's more effective if you know where the main entrance to the burrow is and place the trap right in front of it. Also, I tried a smorgasbord of vege bait, the only thing that worked for me was hanging a tomato inside the trap (purchased on the vine at grocery since it was too early for my garden toms). I have trapped 3 this way and have been groundhog free for 2 years now, YAY!

Groundhogs are only active during the day, so close the trap up at night to avoid getting coons, skunks, etc.
Here's some info from your Extension Good luck!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
THERE is some useful information ↑.

I hate to weigh in and sound cruel but protecting your garden plants is what you should be doing. Groundhogs aren't endangered. In fact, they are probably there because human proximity provides them protection from predators and your yard provides them with food.

Carbon monoxide didn't put an end to them, eh? I can remember the Merrytiller running with a metal pipe and then a hose carrying exhaust under farm buildings to run off skunks. I would expect that to eliminate marmots.

That's what we have here. They are groundhogs' bigger cousins. In one garden I had, they were the primary reason for me leaving after 6 years of continuous conflict! This garden bordered a park and we (supposedly) were not permitted to even harass the marmots. They will happily eat grass but after those years of gardening, they'd learn to eat virtually all garden plants! The park department workers just poisoned them when the marmots caused them too much trouble.

A chicken wire fence can keep them out early in the season. Bury about 8" in the ground and leave about 8" unattached. They are heavy and floppy wire at the top interferes with their climbing. In time, they will find a way in.

Block their burrows. I use several burrow-sized boulders, a short chunk of wood, and a sledgehammer! This has been my most effective deterrent to the invaders.

I've shot them. 22 shorts don't carry far altho, I think I upset some neighbors. One neighbor was all for it, however. He had to take his miniature dachshund to the vet after she tangled with one of the marmots.

Steve

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
:welcome
i live in the Seacoast area in NH very close to the Maine border. so i know the varmints you're talking about. nasty buggers they are.

i was able to take out the matriarch of the family i had a few years ago. took her out with a garden hoe when i startled her in the garden. i was furious and just put it this way, ready to take her out with a grudge. one of her kids got into the chicken run one morning and i scared it out. it was still very small so didn't think it much threat. my neighbor thought he had taken out the father a few weeks before i got the mother but he was able to shoot it since he works for the dept of public works, which at the time we lived across the street from. i caught 2 of the kids in a HavaHart trap and had the neighbor take them out to the woods behind our house to dispatch.

i'm afraid here at my current house we may have a groundhog taking up residence. :thtime to find that trap before spring arrives again. here i have to more aware of the neighbors and dispatching pests. though we do have coyotes that if i asked the farmer up the street i could probably dispatch it up there and let the coyotes take care of the remains.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I prefer to deter wildlife when possible also @digitS' , unfortunately they had burrowed under my porch, near my main septic line. I have since blocked the space with wire fence and rocks. We have an abundance of them and our DNR recommends to trap and dispatch rather than relocate because of the damage they do to the under story of the woodlands.

Know your enemy...a couple more links I found informative, when I was learning more about groundhogs than I really cared to know to help me fight them .... Woodchucks .... More Woodchuck info

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
welcome @Kismet i know how you feel, seems varmints to deer know the right time to help themselves. as @Lavender2 said you have to use the right bait when using live traps. thought about putting up a electric fence but with my luck the only thats going to be shocked would be me :confused:...

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I know the feeling @Chickie'sMomaInNH ... I would have strangled the thing with my bare hands if I had the chance. The first one already had babies under the porch when I noticed it. Every time I walked out in the yard it would charge at me to get back to the burrow, I suppose protecting it. I just wasn't fast enough. Too fast and smart for me to shoot it.
Good luck! I hope you get yours before it gets lunch.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Get a dog! Bigger the better.
I do think that helps. When we had our lab and retriever we never had a problem. Less trouble with the deer also, even though they were inside/outside dogs. Just not ready to get another dog. :(

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
1st of all :welcome @Kismet - I think you will find us friendly and helpful. I can feel your pain. Several years ago we had a family of groundhogs set up housekeeping under the garden shed. I am not sure what finally took them out be DH and DS did everything. Sitting out and shooting at them (and rain barrel got in the way!) Gassing them in tunnels. 1/2 stick dinomite under shed when they where thought to be in den. (Moved the shed!) The stinkers ruined a lot of vegetables. One bite and move onto next plant. Leaving things to rot on the vine. It got to where a dead Groundhog on the road in front of the lot was grounds for celebrating. We do have a 60 pound dog that runs them off or just tangles with them now. But we have been groundhog free for 2 summers. :) YEAH... Good Luck in you battle.

Latest posts