majors 2016 garden..

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
so it begins.. again
DSC_0006.JPG

the outside seeds are slowly coming to life the lettuce is up a few kale,beets,radishes and a couple bush beans. and wouldn't you know it the last couple weeks it's been in the low 70's and a/c on, figured old man winter was gone, but nooo dang Yankees must have payed him off for one more cold snap. it's raining mid 40's with the lowers in the low 30's the next couple morning... so now the heat will be on ...

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
don't blame us Northerner's for that cold snap. we were also enjoying the 'heat wave' of upper 50's to 60's the past couple weeks. we were predicted to get some crummy weather Sunday going into Monday. they have downgraded it some but i had plans to travel Sunday to Unity, ME and i've been watching that forecast like a hawk on my chickens. the 3 hour trip back home through a snow storm wouldn't be fun even though i own a Subaru.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
have to agree with you @Chickie'sMomaInNH after looking at the weather map more closely :caf this snap is coming from those northern mid-westerners aka <Canadians> sorry my fault..

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yep that same cold wave is passing over us. Cold tonight back into the 20's :( Ugh. So ready for the warmth to stay.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Is that the little fan out of a computer cpu tower you're using on you seedlings, Major? That's a really good idea!

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
Is that the little fan out of a computer cpu tower you're using on you seedlings, Major? That's a really good idea!

yes that is from a old computer.. it's a 12 vdc fan... here's a little trick, all those dc adapters that come with everything<external modems,sound systems,just about any computer device, any rechargeable device> has an 120 vac input to 3-12 vdc output converter you can change the speed of the fan depending on the dc output voltage of the converter.

all you need is to cut off the of the converter striped it back a bit and wire nut it to the fan, if the fan does not run.. switch the wires around... have put tape on the positive wire of the fan and on the 4 converters positive wires makes it fool proof during switch over.. yes it's safe, if it wasn't would have never brought it up.
< a note if the computer fan is old old, you can pick them up cheap at any computer repair shop>....

plus as of now using the little personal heater, but have it set on fan only.... everything goes on and off by a timer....

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
we have too many old computers kicking around here my dh could always salvage a few fans. i've thought about using one of those ceramic heaters with the fan, have one but keep it in the bathroom. just got a new heat mat so will be giving that a try & maybe i'll just set up one of the box fans.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
DH is the computer guru around our house. I will copy what you said and have him hook me up with one. :) We have several dead computers in the garage that he keeps for parts. Great use for old junk! :thumbsup

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
yes that is from a old computer.. it's a 12 vdc fan... here's a little trick, all those dc adapters that come with everything<external modems,sound systems,just about any computer device, any rechargeable device> has an 120 vac input to 3-12 vdc output converter you can change the speed of the fan depending on the dc output voltage of the converter.

all you need is to cut off the of the converter striped it back a bit and wire nut it to the fan, if the fan does not run.. switch the wires around... have put tape on the positive wire of the fan and on the 4 converters positive wires makes it fool proof during switch over.. yes it's safe, if it wasn't would have never brought it up.
< a note if the computer fan is old old, you can pick them up cheap at any computer repair shop>....

plus as of now using the little personal heater, but have it set on fan only.... everything goes on and off by a timer....
@journey11
need to edit this part of the sentence...
all you need is to cut off the little plug at the end , leave the wire on the converter....sorry

Last edited:

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
finished up the 4th bed today.....
did a little tweaking to it since that area has a drop, trimmed off 2" of one side and trimmed the ends to match the drop...
shortened the bed from 12' to 9' and moved it closer to the fence where now the bed is level... ok with in a 1/2" figure with settling in should be right on the money... yes i know it looks not level..
DSC_0007.JPG

now have a pile of dirt.. thinking about taking it over to the cider block bed ..
DSC_0009.JPG

quick photo of the radish sprouts...
DSC_0008.JPG

Latest posts