Making A Greenhouse!

Phoenixsylvestris2

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Well for Mothers Day I am helping build a greenhouse for my mom. We made a deal to clean up a friend's yard in exchange for their neglected greenhouse. We got the greenhouse down in 3 days last week with another 2 days just to clean the yard.

There are about 25 panels, more or less 4 ft wide by 8 ft tall, some have been cut down for around windows and such. They are DIRTY lol. Here's one before cleaning:

And here's one after some long hard 10 min. scrubbing:

Anyways I have 20 more to go :th but as least some are not as dirty as others.
I will try to update soon when the weather allows for more work here. Also we managed to save most of the wood used to make it at the other place so I only have to purchase a few more boards, some screws and the such. Can't wait to get this thing up and running!

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
good luck!

are those the old fiberglass panels? just curious since i used to have one with similar panels when i was growing up. the thing lasted about 25 years before you couldn't see through the panels from them getting murky-the resin i think was not UV resistant at that time. they were still solid but the wood was rotting along the base, so my parents took it down with the intent to put it back up-which never happened. :( now i own my own property and i have newer panels but i have to get my butt in gear to put the new one up! still working on my hoop house.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have to smile about how things are shaping up in a couple of yards in the US.

Easily, I could be wrong but I assume your location is in Phoenix, Arizona. Monty J is having hard frosts in West Virginia. I know there are mountains there but I don't think of WV as a place for frosts on into late May. Meanwhile, you are setting up a greenhouse in Phoenix! Keeping in the shade for the work, I see :cool:.

Well, Good for You! I have visited Phoenix a couple of times. I guess that with a greenhouse, winter there would be completely nonexistent in that part of your backyard :). Abundant sunshine, Arizona should have it! Sunlight is what makes a greenhouse "work."

Steve

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Awesome! And i assume the colored panels would help make it less hot for you in the worst part of summer? That green wouldnt be what i was looking for, considering how far north i am...i would want clear to let in as much light as possible. Sounds like a good trade to me - a greenhouse for your labor for a few days, congrats!

Phoenixsylvestris2

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'm in south GA, forgot to put that in my location :D My username is for my favorite palm tree, sorry bout the mix up :)

Haven't been on for a while because of internet issues but I have good news. We got the poles set in concrete(Dad likes to overbuild everything :lol: ) so we are ready for framing tomorrow, I can't wait. Have to get out early, the sun heats things up pretty good here after 12:00. With what we have we figured the size should come out 11 1/2 ft by 16 ft.
I don't know how old these panels are but they are fiberglass, some of it came off when I scrubbed them. I would've preferred the clear panels, but in exchange for a little yard work these were free and my mom's happy with them and i'm happy because I get to use some of her greenhouse until I can build my own:)

Can't wait to eat more fresh veggies all year, as well as getting to plant before Spring because it kills us to have to wait until the frost is over to plant:D I made the mistake of leaving my cacti and palm trees out the 1st Winter I lived here and they died from frost damage in one night. Over $60 in palms alone lost. I never knew FL's weather was that much different in the Winter, I thought it would be close to the same as we only moved 1 hr and 30 min. from the old house in FL :/ Our neighbors say we only have Summer and Winter, no in between weather lol.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow, those panels cleaned up real nice. That will make a great Mothers day gift. Remember to post progress pics....:)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Phoenixsylvestris2 said:
I'm in south GA . . . I never knew FL's weather was that much different in the Winter, I thought it would be close to the same as we only moved 1 hr and 30 min. from the old house in FL :/ Our neighbors say we only have Summer and Winter, no in between weather lol.
Well, that greenhouse seems likely to give you year around growing, Phoenix'!

And the size of it! 11 1/2 ft by 16 ft, that's bigger than my new hoophouse counting the attached shed. If I could do the math, I think it's about the size of my heated greenhouse. That's good sized for most people's backyards. I know there's a certain amount of neighborhood envy and there are questions about me growing things thru 12 months. Could but the furnace would have to run in there every hour of darkness during about 1/2 the year!

Here's a little advice: look into automatic vent openers. Surprising how much heat they can pick up from winter sunlight. Then, you should be good to go :).

Steve

Latest posts