Making seed tapes/or that fluffy stuff

greengenes

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I was looking at how someone made seed tapes on Pinterest. They cut strips of newspaper and the used Elmer's glue and glued on a seed.
That seems...like... it, geesh, it just seems wrong. Wouldn't the moisture from the glue initiate germination? and if not, then would a carrot seed have the oomph to break through the glue and paper and not have a crooked root?

how do you all make seed tapes?

Also, I have seen seeds mixed in with powdered paper -like the paper mache paper, and mixed with seeds for broad casting. I have a lot of seed. I was thinking would be easy to put out that way. It might also keep some moisture on the seed and help glue it to the ground.
Does it work? Have any of you done it? I was thinking I could mix it with some dryer lint and shredded newspaper.
But I do not want to waste my seed on a dumb experiment. If you all think it has merit, I will try it.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I use a paste of water and flour. Just a dab on a strip of newspaper or paper towel. Add the seed and the mixture is dry pretty close to instantly. I've never had a problem with the seed or paper getting overly wet.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'll tackle the other one. You can mix the seed with sand and broadcast it. All you are looking to do is thin it so you don't sow it too thick. Don't worry about using something to keep it moist or glue it down.

greengenes

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thank you!
Spring isn't even here yet, and I am already behind.

grow_my_own

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have successfully made and used seed tapes in the past using long strips of plain white toilet paper. As others have done, I make a light paste of unbleached flour and water and dab it on the strip with a toothpick, lay the seed on it, fold it over lengthwise, and let it dry. It does take a couple of days longer to germinate, but it does work & gives me something "gardening-related" to do in the off season. :) I have only done it with root vegetables and greens, though. I haven't tried it with tomatoes; I usually start those seedlings either in my house or out in the greenhouse.

Oh, and I edited to add that when shopping for toilet paper to use for seed tapes, the kind that is labeled "safe for septic" is best; it breaks down better.

Latest posts