Man I am dense

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I do not know the actual license required. Something about being a chemist. It is for professionals.
I liked the part about it being absorbed by your eyeballs. That stuff is wicked. So is that surflan main ingredient.

Hormonal ratios for auxins and cytokenins start low like .01mg\ml which is the starting solution which is then added to water , but you have to adjust for the specific gravity against water of course before you could know what volume that occupies to make your ratios properly. The superthrive auxin I buy is 1.25 ml to a gallon (3785.412 milliliters). This is like a .00033 starting solution to 1 ratio, so the measuring equipment is a thing. Plus you have to have enough material to measure. That probably will be best done in a solution. And you probably want a system where you can make it up fresh, unless the stuff is stable. NAA auxin is stable, the IBA not so much for example. I think about it like cutting an essential oil down with a carrier oil, then adding that to my gallon of mix.

Remember, many a big screen monster was made in the home laboratory!

Last edited:

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I liked the part about it being absorbed by your eyeballs. That stuff is wicked. So is that surflan main ingredient.

Hormonal ratios for auxins and cytokenins start low like .01mg\ml which is the starting solution which is then added to water , but you have to adjust for the specific gravity against water of course before you could know what volume that occupies to make your ratios properly. The superthrive auxin I buy is 1.25 ml to a gallon (3785.412 milliliters). This is like a .00033 starting solution to 1 ratio, so the measuring equipment is a thing. Plus you have to have enough material to measure. That probably will be best done in a solution. And you probably want a system where you can make it up fresh, unless the stuff is stable. NAA auxin is stable, the IBA not so much for example. I think about it like cutting an essential oil down with a carrier oil, then adding that to my gallon of mix.

Remember, many a big screen monster was made in the home laboratory!

Huh? to most of that. Funny I can buy Surflan to pour on my plants but not the Colchicine. I have a recipe. They say it keeps for years.
What do you think of getting the gout medicine? The mixture would be a mystery to me without directions. And I am sure it is a different form if people take it as medicine.
Warning: Please note that these chemicals can be dangerous. Colchicine in particular is very toxic and the addition of DMSO means it can be absorbed into your tissues very easily. Take all neccesary precautions to prevention inhalation or skin absorption or eye splash. Neither the webmaster, George Doorakian nor the Patriot Daylily Society take any responsibility for injury to you or your plants from using this info

Chemicals
1) make a stock solution of colchicine:
500mg colchicine powder (95% pure) plus
37 ml Kinetin solution (10 ml has 1mg in distilled water)
This can be stored at least 6 months in a refrigerator
2) On day of use, take 10 ml of your stock solution and add 10 drops of DMSO (99.7%. strong solvent)
3)You will be using 4 drops of this solution into the cut crown
(webmaster note: since there are about 20 drops per ml. this recipe should be able to do over 150 treatments)

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Why on earth have I not thought of this before? All of you have all sorts of expertise in all manor of life. As a daylily hybridizer I have been trying to get my hands on Colchicine. Colchicine is used to convert a diploid daylily to a tetraploid daylily in order to double the chromosomes. It creates a more vigorous flower and has been done for over 50 years. As a backyarder I have no access to this chemical. You need a license to obtain it so someone in the field of chemistry would have to do me a favor. It is very toxic. I have read about the gloves, mask, eye protection and the space suit need for playing around with it. I have created many beautiful plants that would be greatly improved with conversion. I am sure I would try it a time or 2 and then get over my obsession with it. I have come so close a few times! Any one out there able to help? I have given up until I thought of my greatest resource.

You don't sound dense to me!!! I couldn't understand half of what you were saying! :th

But, something that toxic doesn't sound like it's worth bothering with just to make a prettier flower. It's like trying to reinvent the wheel....God made them all pretty enough.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Maybe there's a local Master Gardener program near you that might have some folks with access. Maybe the local Master Naturalist group too
I must say there is a program...not too master. This is very specialized.
You don't sound dense to me!!! I couldn't understand half of what you were saying! :th

But, something that toxic doesn't sound like it's worth bothering with just to make a prettier flower. It's like trying to reinvent the wheel....God made them all pretty enough.
I have spoken to those who use it.They are careful and use gloves and such. It not like you are spraying it and it gets airborne. We can buy such toxins already mixed with just a little warning on the bottle.

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I must say there is a program...not too master. This is very specialized.

I have spoken to those who use it.They are careful and use gloves and such. It not like you are spraying it and it gets airborne. We can buy such toxins already mixed with just a little warning on the bottle.
Given what I have read about it, what I know, and what my mother taught me as the head of the hospital laboratory in Bethel, AK as a child, I strongly suggest you purchase a BBQ grade exhaust hood at a minimum, blocked in on the back and sides, such that the unavoidable vapors are directed away from your person.

If you can control the gas of the atmospherics, you can use a full face shield and clothing and gloves as are appropriate from there.

Latest posts