Marianna's Peace Tomatoes

Backyard Buddies

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks for the great list, Oakland! I have read about some of the varieties you've listed and look forward to trying them sometime as well.

Earthy and smoky? That sounds about right. I think I read that the Cherokee Purple makes a great salsa.

Another one I've read about is Black from Tula. Ever tried that one? The reviews I've read says that both Black from Tula and the Black Krim are ugly but tasty. I don't care what it looks like. I have no room in my life for lousy tomatoes!

That'd be great to meet up when you're down this way. Although I have little room at home to grow a large number of tomatoes (backyard is only 64' X 25'), the church garden has lots of room to experiment! Can't wait!

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've never grown Black from Tula but have heard of it. The fruits are slightly larger than Krim and have more ribbing. I think they look great!

Cherokee is good for salsa, btw.

Backyard Buddies

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
OK, Oakland. It has been a week and I'm here to let you know the status and changes with the 'maters.

Stupice: Grew 22% in height.
German Pink: Grew 20% in height.
Anna Russian: Grew 53% in height.
Marianna's Peace: Grew 71% in height!!!! :D
Howard German: Grew 56% in height.

At 30 inches, the German Pink is still the largest. The Marianna's Peace is the smallest at 12" but made pretty good progress this week, I think.

Stupice has the most tomatoes. German Pink is dropping flowers (tho at this point there have been only a few flowers so I'm not worried yet) and I've seen no signs of fruiting yet. At this point, only Stupice and Anna Russian have fruit.

They all look healthy and there is no sign of disease. German Pink is getting a few buggy nibbles, but nothing too significant. All the rest of them are nibble-free.

I fed them the worm poop juice today, so I'll keep a watch on them and hope things continue to progress.

Thanks for your help!

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wow, looks like Marianna's Peace is making a comeback! That's great!

And such precise measurements!

The worm stuff should help also. I wouldn't worry about the flowers dropping German pink is a variety that will give you plenty of large fruits.

Hopefully they keep going. Good luck.

Backyard Buddies

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
OaklandCityFarmer said:
And such precise measurements!
:lol: With such a small garden and only 5 little tomato plants to care for, it's easy to be precise.

I think that we're on a good path so far. Should I dig in any more eggshells at any point? Any other tips you'd like to share? Do you have an established system for your 'maters?

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If you call me spending hours a day in the greenhouse, the garden or the raised beds and established system then sure.

Although not as important in Southern California, you should pinch the tops/new growth off the tomatoes about 3 weeks before the first frost so th fruits that are there can mature.

We reduce watering while the fruits are maturing to encourage more sugar production to the fruits instead of the new growth.

Just keep them watered consistently, never let them dry out but don't let them get soggy.

I'm not sure where in Orange County you are but if you are on a slope facing the ocean you might get really cold nights, right? Tomatoes love warm soils so cover the ground with red/black plastic then you will keep them warm at night. Also a good layer of compost, newspaper, then mulch will work as a more natural approach.

I give them eggshells about once or twice a month. Not really schedule just more like when I remember as I'm making breakfast.

I have a tomato plants that I keep well pruned, most I let grow as the please, only removing ground suckers in the beginning of the season.

This fall, plant some hairy vetch and let it overwinter. Don't let it go to seed though. Mow it down to about 2 inches of the ground and then cut holes right into it for your tomatoes. It makes a great mulch, keeps weeds out and feeds the tomatoes tons of nitrogen.

Tomatoes are a lot easier to grow then most people think. Nature's been doing it for a lot longer than we have, so just remember that.

Backyard Buddies

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips, Oakland!

You're lucky to be able to spend long hours in the greenhouse, gardens, and beds! Wish I had that kind of time. Since I work from home (for hubby) I pretty much only get to visit with the plants for short periods throughout my work day.

We don't get much in the way of frost here, and I've been able to grow tomatoes through February here. I'm near the fairgrounds, so our weather is pretty consistent day in and day out. It rarely gets too hot, nor too cold. But, the compost, mulch, etc is still a good idea.

I'll keep adding the eggshells from time to time, plus take some to the church garden to add to those tomatoes as well. I imagine that would help prevent blossom end rot, right?

When you mow down the hairy vetch, are you leaving the mowed vetch in the garden to provide nutrients? What if you have raised beds? Can you simply weedwack them?

pupsnpullets

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Just reading through your posts, BYB, and realise if you live near the fairgrounds you may have had the chance to get to the OC College's plant nursery sale a couple of months ago? I got there at the tail end but brought home two tiny little tomato plants: Britain's Breakfast and Hawaiian Currant. I have no idea what they'll be like - anyone? - but so far they're healthy, if a little spindly, and have a few little flowers and a couple of olive pit sized fruits.

Backyard Buddies

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Oh gee Pups! Now you tell me! No, I didn't know a thing about the OCC nursery sale! My plants came from the Cal State Fullerton Arboretum tomatoes/peppers sale back in, um, er, March I think. Tell me about the OCC sale!

I hadn't heard of the tomatoes you picked up, but it looks like both are a cherry type tomato, with the currant ones very, very small. I can't wait to hear how they taste!

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Tomatoes in February, almost makes me miss So Cal.

Since what we grow makes up a small portion of our income I guess I have to find time.

Eggshells and consistent watering are the best things you can do to avoid blossom end rot and cat facing.

We trim the back and leave the cuttings, yes. I'm sure there's not a problem with using the weed whacker or anything like that.