Mason bees vs carpenter bees?

Rusty

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Is there a difference? The carpenter bees got so bad here and did so much damage to the frame of my deck that I had to kill them to save the deck. It broke my heart to do so, but I need that deck--it leads to my front door.

Now I've been hearing that folks are using mason bees for pollination and have seen mason bee kits for sale. But what I've read online is that they nest in wood. Doesn't that mean they will do damage like carpenter bees or is "mason" just another name FOR a carpenter bee?

I love bees and would love to have some masons IF they are not destructive pests like the carpenters are.

Thanks for any information!

:D

Rusty

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Mason bees don't drill into wood like carpenter bees do. They just use existing holes. Those rascals (carpenter bees) can make a really neat hole can't they? When the sawdust starts flying you know where the old saying of "busy as a bee" came from! :)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh goodness, we had a horrible time with carpenter bees last year with the deck and the mailbox!

If it helps carpenter bees go for old wood, unpainted or unstained wood. Don't be confused though, they will burrow into 'treated' wood. It needs to be painted or sealed to keep them out.

You have that old Masonite siding? Is there are spots where its chipped and peeled and needs paint... they will borrow right into your house!

Honestly, to get rid or kill them, I just waited until Dusk when they were back in the holes I found and putted them over with the bee inside. Rather then do it while they are out and about as they will just start burrowing as close to the old hole as possible... they don't just go away!

Rusty

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
old wood, unpainted or unstained wood.
They went under the deck to the joists, which were not painted because you don't see them at all. When I repaint the deck this spring, I'm going to climb underneath and paint there too even though there is skirting all around the base of the deck. What a time we had last year. Piles of sawdust everywhere under the deck. I was seriously afraid they had done structural damage.

Rusty

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Can I suggest a paint sprayer full of sealant?! Will save you a lot of work and your deck for about 5 years before you have to do it again. You can even rent a sprayer at Home Depot or Lowes for like $25 for the day! ;)

Latest posts