Massive Garden Project, Need Advice

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Congratulations Grow! How fun is that? :ya
Better enlarge all your beds at home, because I predict you'll be coming home with lots of plants that you didn't know you couldn't live without until now.

Voice of Experience. :rolleyes:

grow_my_own

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Update on the Winery Garden... we have an infestation of black aphids in the pumpkin patch. I have to pull them all out and have the plants burned so the aphids don't spread to the vineyards.

That being said, it's time to pull it out anyway. We got about 40 eggplants this year from 5 plants & they are continuing to produce, though the eggplants are getting smaller and smaller, so I will be pulling them out this week.

We also harvested approximately 150 pounds of Armenian cucumbers from 4 plants. Only 3 straight-8s and only half a dozen lemon cucumbers produced (same bed). But holy mackerel, the Armenians were phenomenal this year! They got huge and NOT bitter. Definitely will grow them again next year.

At home, when the summer growing season is done and it's time to pull everything out, I let the chickens in the garden to do the work for me. I'm lazy, what can I say? LOL ... plus it's really good for them. At the winery garden, chickens are not an option, so I'm going to be forced to do my own garden clearing this year.

I have been asked to continue and do a winter garden. SCORE!

Planting onions, shallots, kale, lettuces, cabbages, radicchio, and brussel sprouts. Doing more cool-season herbs, as well. Any other suggestions/ideas? You guys have been the BEST resource! <3

grow_my_own

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Congratulations Grow! How fun is that? :ya
Better enlarge all your beds at home, because I predict you'll be coming home with lots of plants that you didn't know you couldn't live without until now.

Voice of Experience. :rolleyes:

Oh yeah... I'm already in trouble. I've always grown veggies but not many flowers. The nursery I work for specializes in daylilies, and I am getting sucked in by all the purdy flowers .... *sigh*....

And the daylilies are only the beginning of my new obsession. I'm learning a lot about actual landscaping with shrubs and other plants. A whole new world ... I'm loving every second of it.

So glad I walked away from Corporate America and moved to the mountains.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Grow_my_own, is there a possibility that you can get chickens for the winery? Start talking about the benefits every so often, then spring the question. You have nothing to lose, that is if you want to tend to them.

Mary

grow_my_own

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
No, because there is a zinfandel vineyard and a syrah vineyard near the garden, and a couple of chickens could cause significant crop loss for the winery. Believe me, I have thought about it because I'd really like to take a few of my hens over there and let them have a field day with pulling out the summer garden! I have considered bringing in T-posts and chicken wire to enclose them, just bring them over for a few hours each day and let them have at it, while under my watchful eye, of course. I suppose it could not hurt to ask... plus, as you said, the benefits of the chicken poop in the soil are totally worth it.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Is there any room for a coop and a small enclosed run for maybe 3 chickens? Carrying chickens back and forth could be a little more work than you think?

Mary

Latest posts