Master Gardener program

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
My boss retired 2 years ago. After 1 year, he got bored. Took classes, passed tests, and now is helping with local food growing club that donates fresh produce to charities. This interests me but taking the classes, membership $, tests, not all that interested in. Should I go for it? Since I'm a CCA, he says test is a breeze. Learned a (and still learning) lot about specialty crops.

Should I or shouldn't I?

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
DH and I went through the local Master Gardener class together. I took the tests and got the certification. There was a lot that we learned, a lot that we already knew, and a few things that we were taught that were just wrong -- such as you can't grow blueberries in my county. We were lucky in that our instructor would give us the organic information if we asked for it. Otherwise, all the info at our class was what chemical was good for what plant problem. I suspect all MG classes are a bit different as someone mentioned that all her instructor discussed was organic gardening methods.

I just love learning and took the class for myself. It just might be fun and useful.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I say take it. Its on my list of things I'm going to do at some point. But then I'm one of the people who believes we should never stop learning.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
What about it appeals to you? The teaching? Is it is the growing and donating of food to the needy? Maybe you can help with the hands on part of it and forgo all of the test taking. What is A CCA? Sorry for my ignorance.
seedcorn said:
My boss retired 2 years ago. After 1 year, he got bored. Took classes, passed tests, and now is helping with local food growing club that donates fresh produce to charities. This interests me but taking the classes, membership $, tests, not all that interested in. Should I go for it? Since I'm a CCA, he says test is a breeze. Learned a (and still learning) lot about specialty crops.

Should I or shouldn't I?
perhaps you can forego

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Correct Monty.

It's the being able to help do a good thing. But Jared is also correct that I feel un-educated in garden crops. I learn a lot through my mistakes. There are things to learn from others on specialty crops as apples. I am soooooo bad on how to make them productive.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Seedcorn, even if you take the course, take the test and fail miserably-you still win. You will learn things that you don't know now and enjoy it as well. My bet is on you. You will pass the test and come back on here and tell us how much you learned. :thumbsup

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i'd love to go and do the one in my area sometime in my life. about 15 years ago i was very tempted but it was a week long program in January and i either didn't have the vacation time or the $$$ to take it. now they have it spread out over the weekends but it still costs a lot of $$$ and the past few years with dh in and out of work, and then me this year, we haven't really had the money to let me go through it.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here in Vancouver, Wa. area... This has been my experience in this area over the last almost 2 years. I attended a Master gardener demonstration garden of about 2 acres. There are about a half dozen different garden themed areas as to wet, dry, moist, woodland, meadow, shade, sunny, etc. gardens. 3 plant sales attended by hundreds of buyers with lines up to 2 blocks long , and 2 garden tours ( my garden was on the second tour) put on by Master Gardeners. In about 80% of the time, I knew more things about the plants ( which was next to nothing on some native or nonnative plants ) that I inquired about than these fine folks. These folks invariably would point me to talk to that guy or gal over there ( pointing in their direction ). I met the professor at WSU, Vancouver who is in charge of the Master Gardener program at these events who asked me 3 different times to attend the course. Too time consuming and WAY too expensive as well as after graduating one is expected to volunteer to man their public master gardener call in lines, as well as help in putting on these events several times per year. I still would recommend one to take the course to continue one's education. :bouquet

Latest posts