Master Gardener's ?

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Has anyone taken the Master Gardener course from your county extension ? I have the info coming I just wondered what all was involved and if I am even qualified to apply for it.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
From a certain nontrivial number of the "Master Gardeners" I've known, it is apparently hard to be underqualified :p LOL

Seriously though, if you have grown stuff before and you take the classes and stuff they want you to, and meet their requirements, what's to worry? It *is* useful for there to be a resource for people to turn to with questions. Go for it :)

Have fun,

Pat

robbobbin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I took Master Gardener with Purdue extensions here in central Indiana, and Pat's right-it's nearly impossible to fail.
There will be a required number of class hours, and you can only miss one or two and still become certified. So really it just takes dedication, something you already have since you are here and love plants as you already do.
THEN the biggest thing is VOLUNTEERING!!! You become certified once you volunteer as many hours as you were given class hours(make sense?) I was worried I would have trouble getting all the hours in, but found I qualified for 'Advanced' master gardener before I knew it...yippee!
And...I met some wonderful new friends and made GREAT contacts!
I think you're gonna LOVE it!!!

Now when I "lose" a plant my family says "way to go master gardener"...oh well.

Let us know how you do, and how much you love love love it!

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
The application and info pack arrived today.
It's 30 hours of classes and then 50 hours of volunteer time. I don't mind that at all since there are tons of ways to do your volunteer time.
It cost's $125 which seems reasonable.
I'm not so worried about looking like an idiot since you guys say it will be ok. :gig
I will turn my application in on Tuesday and classes start on March 3rd. It's 5 Tuesdays and 6 hours a day. Lucky for me I only work on Monday's now. :D
I will keep you updayed when it starts. I may need help with my homework!

Latest posts