Math Question

freedhardwoods

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
There is no clear cut answer on a lot of this. There are different kinds of mulch. Are you talking about wood chips, wood shavings, straw? Wet mulch may weight more than twice as much as dry mulch per cubic yard.

Different materials will weight different amounts, depending mostly what is the parent material. I found this in the internet just to give you an idea.

Sand 1.10 - 1.25 tons(2,200 - 2,500 lb.) per cubic yard

Planting Mix 1 ton (2,000 lb.) per cubic yard

Lawn Dressing .90 tons (1,800 lb.) per cubic yard

Compost .40 tons (800 lb.) per cubic yard

Landscape Gravels 1.20 - 1.35 tons (2,400 - 2,700 lb.) per cubic yard

Washed Gravel 1.35 tons (2,700 lb.) per cubic yard

Washed Limestone 1.20 tons (2,400 lb.) per cubic yard

Limestone Base 1.35 tons (2,700 lb.) per cubic yard

Lava Rock .50 - .65 tons (1,000 - 1,300 lbs.) per cubic yard

Learning your equipment and the sag is a real good idea. You might even paint a mark when you get to 1000 pounds if you have something you can mark. Oceangoing freighters do that, paint a "Plimsoll" mark on the vessel so when it sinks in the water so far they know it is loaded.
Good chart!

When I lived in suburbia a city-boy neighbor asked to borrow my wheelbarrow, I'd just bought one so it was new. He was working on a back patio. A few days later he gave me a brand new wheelbarrow. He was mortified that he had scratched my pretty wheelbarrow with those bricks and chunks of concrete and just had to replace it. In his mind, he had ruined it. I just could not convince him that a wheelbarrow was supposed to be scratched inside.
Thats funny.

I was told my truck can safely carry 1,000 pounds.
There should be a tag inside the drivers door that tells you how much weight it can carry.

I actually could fill my big pickup with rock or gravel. It's rated to haul almost 6,000 lbs.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i miss having my truck for hauling some things like this. but i had a 2wd S10 and the 1st year i had it i paid $15 for a truckload of what was supposed to be well rotted cow manure. :sick it was too wet & smelly for 'well rotted'. it had to have been close to 1k# in weight.

my poor truck was riding low in the back till i got it home & off loaded it. but that garden sure did well in the following years after! took some time to get the smell out though.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cow manure takes years to get rid of that smell. Experience.

I've hauled 2,000# with my half ton truck. 2 things I'd suggest-have great tires (rated to haul weight) and SLOW DOWN when you see any kind of bump.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
or just a lot of hot water & soap! :lol: i pulled the liner out & hosed every inch down then ran it to a local car wash to hose it with the hot water. the stink didn't seem to stay long once the stuff dried out enough & it was tilled.

where i live now we are down hill from a small alpaca farm so when they are prepping the fields to grow hay i know when i smell the manure coming down the hill. it lasts a couple days & then is gone.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score

You're going to love that stuff!
I used to get it from the farm down the road, I had to load it myself from the pasture, but it was free, and no charge for the entertainment either.

alpacas and hot air balloon005.jpg