Mechanical Electrical Timer

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Looking for a mechanical electrical timer, like the one Orbit makes for hoses. Anyone know of one?

I have a 550 gal water tank that feeds my 10 rows of potted trees via a large pump. I usually turn on a row or two for 20 min or so, but sometimes you can get distracted and forget :(. I really don't want to forget too long and run my tank out of water and thus burn my motor out as that would be a $700 mistake, so I'd like to be able to set a timer for 20 min there and know that it'll shut off after that and then I can come back at a later time to put on another row for another 20 min.

Thanks!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Never used one, mind you. I use the cheapo timer, where you push down tabs, for my coffee maker, and I don't recommend cheap. It Works, but I push back my coffee maker and accidentally push down tabs, and I am making coffee at 8 at night. :somad I have also used numerous timers outside on the porch, and I don't use the cheapest there, either.
This is the description, and you could shop around for a better price online:
  • EASY AND FLEXIBLE PROGRAMMING: Operates up to 4 stations, with up to 8 start times, and can be run from 1-240 minutes. Set for days of the week, odd/even days, or intervals (between 1-30 days)
  • RAIN SENSOR COMPATIBLE: Connect with a rain sensor to delay watering for a set time after storms
  • BATTERY OPERATED: Works great for sprinkler boxes without a power outlet nearby (Requires 3 AA batteries not included). Low battery warning will alert you when to replace batteries
  • DETACHABLE TIMER: Easily remove timer from housing for programming
  • DURABLE CONSTRUCTION: Weatherproof housing protects timer from the elements, and every valve connection is sealed with a water-tight O-ring

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Never used one, mind you. I use the cheapo timer, where you push down tabs, for my coffee maker, and I don't recommend cheap. It Works, but I push back my coffee maker and accidentally push down tabs, and I am making coffee at 8 at night. :somad I have also used numerous timers outside on the porch, and I don't use the cheapest there, either.
This is the description, and you could shop around for a better price online:
  • EASY AND FLEXIBLE PROGRAMMING: Operates up to 4 stations, with up to 8 start times, and can be run from 1-240 minutes. Set for days of the week, odd/even days, or intervals (between 1-30 days)
  • RAIN SENSOR COMPATIBLE: Connect with a rain sensor to delay watering for a set time after storms
  • BATTERY OPERATED: Works great for sprinkler boxes without a power outlet nearby (Requires 3 AA batteries not included). Low battery warning will alert you when to replace batteries
  • DETACHABLE TIMER: Easily remove timer from housing for programming
  • DURABLE CONSTRUCTION: Weatherproof housing protects timer from the elements, and every valve connection is sealed with a water-tight O-ring
haha. That's spendy. Honestly for this use I'm fine with cheap, hence me looking for a simple mechanical (spin the dial for a 20 min electrical current). Not looking for something the water will flow through, but rather something my pump will plug into (power) as my pump pushes to a 2" pipe. It's one of the 1HP Myers pumps here and was somewhere in that $700-$900 range

Oh, I'm familiar with good timers. I have some Titan timers for my indoor growing.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
the mechanical timer as you are looking for<the way i understand it> once you wind it up it allows water to run for a set amount of time...
okay once thats time is up and you are distracted.. sounds to me that the pump will be still running even thou the time is up...

think we cocktail napkin engineered this a while back and from i have read you have come a long way...congrats!!!!

in my personal opinion you need to purchase a electrical multi zone timer with a low water switch, which you can set to come on in the middle of the night so you have better usage of water instead of middle of the day and waste it due to evaporation.....

just my 2 cents

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
the mechanical timer as you are looking for<the way i understand it> once you wind it up it allows water to run for a set amount of time...
okay once thats time is up and you are distracted.. sounds to me that the pump will be still running even thou the time is up...

think we cocktail napkin engineered this a while back and from i have read you have come a long way...congrats!!!!

in my personal opinion you need to purchase a electrical multi zone timer with a low water switch, which you can set to come on in the middle of the night so you have better usage of water instead of middle of the day and waste it due to evaporation.....

just my 2 cents
No. I'm looking for a mechanical timer that provides electrical current to the pump.

Later I'll be installing a timer for the whole system, but right now I want a bandaid

Last edited:

PhilaGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
on the data plate on the pump what is it saying the amp draw for the voltage your using..?

this might be what your looking for......
Sorry, I kept forgetting to take a pic. Finally did today.

20200602_072428.jpg

Latest posts