Message in a Bottle

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
There is a story on Mashable about a 100 year old bottle that was found with a postcard inside. The 20 year-old German kid who threw it in the ocean is long gone. He had just asked the person who found the bottle to put the card in the mail so that it could be delivered to his home.

After a fisherman found the bottle, someone tracked down his granddaughter and delivered the message.

If you wrote a message and threw it into the water today, what would it say?

My message would probably be: "Check the Plants!"

Steve

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
"If I ...could put time...in a bottle............."

Put the name, date and coordinates....a little note about why it is here....please respond and pass it on. It may be found like that one...100 years in the future!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Moxie', you dropped me right into a sea of nostalgia with that reference. Seems like 100 years ago . . .

Here is a picture of my hoop house. It is now partly filled with plants.

I think of that door as my "through the wardrobe" door because it is thru the neighbor's fence! The hoop house is in his yard. That is my backyard environment you are looking back into there. The first open door is into a plastic tunnel that covers 2 garden beds. The grey door beyond is the door to the greenhouse. The distant picket gate leads into the driveway and the road beyond.

Wouldn't it make sense to use a message in a bottle to send those thoughts we couldn't quite bring ourselves to say a hundred years ago? If you click the picture you will find another of Jim Croce's songs and a message I couldn't send all that time ago.

Steve

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wonder if 100 years from now the granddaughter would be fined for the grandparent polluting the water by throwing a bottle in it or just think of them as a horrible person?

I think I'd be like Moxies. Contact info, date, and location. I think that would be plenty.

Wishin'

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I would leave a message that will lead the finder on a wild goose chase :lol:

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
RidgeRunner, it is sometimes said that the sins of the fathers are visited on the sons, and granddaughters.

DS just went through something of a career change. DS said it was like going through a divorce. Poor kid is also recovering from surgery this week.

So, they'd better not be neglecting my plants after I'm gone!

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would leave a message that will lead the finder on a wild goose chase :lol:
When I was in Tampa, there was a Gasparilla parade. It seems that the entire story about Gaspar the Pirate could have been fabricated!

It generates a lot of excitement. I just "happened" across it, but such is my nature.

There was a Plant Park and Plant Field associated with it but I may just be obsessing about plants today . . .

@Wishin' any pirates burying treasure in South Carolina?

Steve

Wishin'

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@digitS' I wish! ;) I could really use a good Ford truck, a couple hundred acres, and good ol' farm house that doesn't need a lot of repairs.

Latest posts